Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Terrell in Kaufman County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Terrell State Hospital

 
 
Terrell State Hospital Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rheba Bybee, September 21, 2016
1. Terrell State Hospital Marker
Inscription.  

Authorized 1883 by Legislature of Texas. Designed by J. N. Preston and sons, Austin. Built by John M'Donald. Opened in 1885 under administration of Dr. D. R. Wallace, superintendent, who was an internationally recognized pioneer psychiatrist.

Admitted 330 patients during first year. Gradually enlarged with 2,300 patients by 1920; it was largest hospital of its kind west of Mississippi.

No original buildings are left. Only the fountain in circular park and water tower remain from old hospital grounds.
 
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 8556.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Science & Medicine. A significant historical year for this entry is 1883.
 
Location. 32° 44.308′ N, 96° 15.788′ W. Marker is in Terrell, Texas, in Kaufman County. Marker is on East Brin Street, 0.2 miles east of East State Street, on the left when traveling east. The marker is in front of the administration building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1200 East Brin Street, Terrell TX 75160, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
are within walking distance of this marker. First Christian Church of Terrell (approx. ¾ mile away); Texas & Pacific Railroad Freight Depot (approx. ¾ mile away); Terrell State Hospital Cemetery (approx. 0.8 miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. 0.8 miles away); S. M. N. Marrs (approx. 0.8 miles away); Terrell Elementary School (approx. 0.8 miles away); The American National Bank (approx. 0.9 miles away); St. John Catholic Church (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Terrell.
 
Also see . . .  Terrell State Hospital. Texas State Historical Association entry (Submitted on September 24, 2016, by Rheba Bybee of Seagoville, Texas.) 
 
Terrell State Hospital image. Click for full size.
via Asylum Project, unknown
2. Terrell State Hospital
Terrell State Hospital site image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rheba Bybee, September 21, 2016
3. Terrell State Hospital site
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 13, 2022. It was originally submitted on September 24, 2016, by Rheba Bybee of Seagoville, Texas. This page has been viewed 723 times since then and 85 times this year. Last updated on July 11, 2022, by Joe Lotz of Denton, Texas. Photos:   1. submitted on September 24, 2016, by Rheba Bybee of Seagoville, Texas.   2. submitted on March 8, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.   3. submitted on September 24, 2016, by Rheba Bybee of Seagoville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=201860

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 25, 2024