Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Waxahachie in Ellis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Parsons' Cavalry

C.S.A.

 
 
Parsons' Cavalry Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J Frye, July 18, 2020
1. Parsons' Cavalry Marker
Inscription.  

Originally comprised of men from Ellis and surrounding counties. Organized for Civil War service at Rockett's Spring (4 mi. E. of this site), Sept. 1861, unit was trained and commanded by Col. William H Parsons, Mexican War veteran, colorful duelist, editor, merchant, and lawyer. In a Confederate brigade, this unit was joined with 12th, 19th, and 21st Texas Cavalry regiments, Morgan's Battalion and Pratt's Battery, to scout and fight in Missouri, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Indian Territory. It was famous for attacks on Federal ironclad ships, Red River Campaign, 1864.
 
Erected 1972 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 7137.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1861.
 
Location. 32° 29.247′ N, 96° 49.467′ W. Marker is in Waxahachie, Texas, in Ellis County. Marker is on Dallas Highway, 2 miles north of Butcher Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Waxahachie TX 75165, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
flies. Ellis County (within shouting distance of this marker); Red Oak Cemetery (approx. 1.3 miles away); Bell's Chapel Cemetery (approx. 2.4 miles away); Graves Cemetery (approx. 3.6 miles away); Ovilla Cemetery (approx. 4.3 miles away); Shiloh Cumberland Presbyterian Church (approx. 4.4 miles away); First Baptist Church of Ovilla (approx. 4˝ miles away); Ovilla (approx. 4˝ miles away).
 
Parsons' Cavalry Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J Frye, July 18, 2020
2. Parsons' Cavalry Marker
Parsons' Cavalry Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Zacharias Beau T, July 24, 2011
3. Parsons' Cavalry Marker
Parsons' Cavalry Marker and the Ellis County Marker with a missing tablet.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 15, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 28, 2012, by Zacharias Beau T of Alpine, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,478 times since then and 52 times this year. Last updated on July 11, 2022, by Joe Lotz of Denton, Texas. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 7, 2021, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas.   3. submitted on January 28, 2012, by Zacharias Beau T of Alpine, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=201873

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 24, 2024