Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Marshall in Harrison County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of Marshall Masonic Female Institute

 
 
Site of Marshall Masonic Female Institute Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, May 24, 2014
1. Site of Marshall Masonic Female Institute Marker
Inscription.  

School originated as Female Department of Marshall University, chartered Jan. 18, 1842, by Republic of Texas.

Marshall Masonic Lodge No. 22 chartered the Female Institute as a separate school in 1850. Five lodge members (including city's most prominent men) were on institute's executive board. By 1853, there were fifty-three students and a faculty of five.

Two who served longest of the school's five presidents were Dr. Thomas B. Wilson (1850-1858 and 1865-1870) and Dr. Charles B. Stuart (1874-1886).
 
Erected 1969 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 10193.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationFraternal or Sororal OrganizationsWomen.
 
Location. 32° 32.863′ N, 94° 22.142′ W. Marker is in Marshall, Texas, in Harrison County. Marker is at the intersection of West Burleson Street and North Franklin Street, on the right when traveling west on West Burleson Street. The marker is located along the sidewalk
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
in front of Marshall's First Church of Christ Scientist. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 213 West Burleson Street, Marshall TX 75670, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sam Houston's 1857 Campaign in Marshall (here, next to this marker); Girlhood Home of Southern Beauty Lucy Holcombe Pickens (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Temple Moses Montefiore (about 400 feet away); The Hochwald House (about 400 feet away); Site of The Confederate Hat Factory in Marshall, C.S.A. (about 400 feet away); James L. Farmer, Jr. (about 600 feet away); The Library Movement in Marshall (about 600 feet away); Joe Weisman and Company (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marshall.
 
Also see . . .  Marshall Masonic Female Institute. The Masonic Female Institute in Marshall originated as the women's division of Marshall University but on February 16, 1850, was turned over to an executive board appointed by Marshall Masonic Lodge. Among the courses offered in 1854 were botany, geology, moral philosophy, logic, political economy, domestic economy, astronomy, ancient languages, modern languages, and what were called "ornamental subjects"- drawing, painting, embroidery, needlework, and the like. The school went through a financial crisis
Site of Marshall Masonic Female Institute Marker (<i>wide view</i>) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, May 24, 2014
2. Site of Marshall Masonic Female Institute Marker (wide view)
during the Civil War but recovered afterward. In 1876 the school's enrollment was 102, and it employed six instructors. In the 1880s the institute building was rented to the public school system, and the institute continued to operate as a public school for females until the building was condemned in 1910. (Submitted on December 2, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 13, 2022. It was originally submitted on December 2, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 409 times since then and 19 times this year. Last updated on July 11, 2022, by Joe Lotz of Denton, Texas. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 2, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=201889

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 20, 2024