Georgetown in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Woman’s Club of Georgetown
In 1893 Lula Holland Leavell (1854-1895) and her daughters, Blanche and Kate, hosted a literary reading for a group of Georgetown women. That year the group formed a women’s literary club. In 1897 the club was named the “Initial History Club” and its scope was expanded to include literature, history, music, and participation in Georgetown’s cultural affairs. They merged with two other local women’s clubs in 1917 to form the Woman’s Club of Georgetown. The club continues a rich tradition of civic enrichment with various outreach programs and the promotion of the arts.
Erected 1995 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17287.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Women. A significant historical year for this entry is 1893.
Location. 30° 38.02′ N, 97° 40.028′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker can be reached from E. University Ave.. The marker is on a cement slab just east of the Southwestern University main building. Touch for map. Marker Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Southwestern University Main Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Southwestern University (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Easley Home (about 700 feet away); XI Chapter Kappa Alpha Order (about 800 feet away); Iota Chapter (approx. 0.2 miles away); Amos-Godbey House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Judge Harry N. Graves (approx. 0.2 miles away); W.C. Vaden House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 14, 2022. It was originally submitted on March 19, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 939 times since then and 180 times this year. Last updated on July 11, 2022, by Joe Lotz of Denton, Texas. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 19, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.