Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbia in Maury County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Elm Springs

End of the Burn Line

— Hood’s Campaign —

 
 
Elm Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Darren Jefferson Clay, July 13, 2022
1. Elm Springs Marker
Inscription.  In September 1864, after Union Gen. William T. Sherman defeated Confederate Gen. John Bell Hood at Atlanta, Hood led the Army of Tennessee northwest against Sherman's supply lines. Rather than contest Sherman's "March to the Sea,” Hood then moved north into Tennessee. Gen. John M. Schofield, detached from Sherman's army, delayed Hood at Columbia and Spring Hill before falling back to Franklin. The bloodbath there on November 30 crippled the Confederates, but they followed Schofield to the outskirts of Nashville and Union Gen. George H. Thomas's strong defenses. Hood's campaign ended when Thomas crushed his army on December 15-16.

Union Gen. John M. Schofield's army prepared its temporary defense here on November 26, 1864, as Confederate Gen. John Bell Hood's Army of Tennessee approached Columbia. The town, located on the Duck River and the direct route to Nashville, was Hood's first objective in his plan to recapture Nashville and Middle Tennessee. Schofield won the race to Columbia and created a "burn line” south of the town (present-day Campbell Blvd.) to clear fields of fire by destroying all structures and large trees there.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Elm Springs anchored the eastern end of the burn line.

With Confederate troops approaching rapidly, Union soldiers broke into the house and seized small combustibles, placing them in the closet under the stairs. Lighting a broom from the fireplace, they shoved it beneath the stairs and fled through the front door as Confederate Gen. Frank C. Armstrong's cavalrymen rode into the back yard. Alerted to the growing fire, some of his men quickly extinguished the flames while others rounded the house and discovered the Federals fleeing across the front lawn. A few well-placed shots brought them down and stopped the burning on this end of the field.

Hood pressed on toward Nashville and suffered devastating casualties at the Battle of Franklin on November 30. Afterward, this house sheltered convalescing Confederate officers, including Gen. John C. Brown, who later served as governor of Tennessee.

Confederate Maj. Abram M. Looney, 1st Tennessee Infantry, owned Elm Springs (built ca. 1837) during the war.
 
Erected by Tennessee Civil War Trails.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
 
Location. 35° 35.085′ N, 87° 1.86′ W. Marker is in Columbia, Tennessee, in Maury County. Marker can be reached
Elm Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Darren Jefferson Clay, July 13, 2022
2. Elm Springs Marker
from Park Plus Drive. Located at the National Confederate Museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 740 Mooresville Pike, Columbia TN 38401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Historic Elm Springs (within shouting distance of this marker); Jefferson Davis Monument (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First County Seat Location (approx. 0.8 miles away); Joseph Brown (approx. 1.1 miles away); Advance and Retreat (approx. 1.3 miles away); Rose Hill Confederate Memorial (approx. 1.3 miles away); Edward Franklin “Pop” Geers (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Confederate Monument (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 12, 2022. It was originally submitted on July 13, 2022, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. This page has been viewed 240 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on July 13, 2022, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia.   2. submitted on September 11, 2022, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=202159

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 25, 2024