Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Harrisburg in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Camp Curtin

1861 — 1865

 
 
Camp Curtin 1861 - 1865 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Pfingsten, March 21, 2008
1. Camp Curtin 1861 - 1865 Marker
Inscription.  In memory of more than 300,000 soldiers of the Civil War, the flower of the nation's youth and the maturity of her manhood, who passed into and out of this camp to the field of battle. A united country enjoys the fruits of their victory for liberty and union.
 
Topics. This memorial is listed in these topic lists: MilitaryWar, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is April 18, 1861.
 
Location. 40° 16.945′ N, 76° 53.456′ W. Marker is in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, in Dauphin County. Memorial is at the intersection of North Sixth Street and Woodbine Streets, on the right when traveling north on North Sixth Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Harrisburg PA 17110, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Camp Curtin (a few steps from this marker); Camp Curtin Memorial-Mitchell United Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Camp Curtin (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cottage Ridge (approx. 0.4 miles away); Camp Curtin Fire Company No. 13
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 0.4 miles away); Pennsylvania Farm Show (approx. 0.4 miles away); Reily Hose Company No. 10 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Simon Cameron School (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harrisburg.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Related Camp Curtin markers.
 
East side of statue image. Click for full size.
September 28, 2016
2. East side of statue
Camp Curtin
Camp Curtin was the first and greatest military camp in the northern states in 1861. It was open territory, its limits being bounded by what is now Watts Lane on the north, Pennsylvania Railroad on the east, Maclay Street on the south and Fifth Street on the west. The land was taken possession of by order of Governor Curtin April 18, 1861.
South side of the statue image. Click for full size.
September 28, 2016
3. South side of the statue
The Camp Curtin Pump.
North side of statue image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Pfingsten, March 21, 2008
4. North side of statue
The Camp Curtin Hospital.
Statue of Governor Curtin image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Pfingsten, March 21, 2008
5. Statue of Governor Curtin
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 14, 2022. It was originally submitted on March 22, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,888 times since then and 4 times this year. Last updated on July 14, 2022, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos:   1. submitted on March 22, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.   2, 3. submitted on January 10, 2022.   4, 5. submitted on March 22, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=202198

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 4, 2024