Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
L'Orignal in Prescott and Russell United Counties, Ontario — Central Canada (North America)
 

Palais de justice et prison / Court House and Jail

 
 
Palais de justice et prison / Court House and Jail Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Robert Rusaw, July 4, 2022
1. Palais de justice et prison / Court House and Jail Marker
Inscription.  Palais de justice et prison Court House and Fail Palais de justice et prison (1825-1998) Le palais de justice et la prison ont fait de L'Orignal un centre important en On- tario. De style loyaliste néo-classique, cet immeuble est le plus ancien palais de jus- tice existant en Ontario: il comprend la Cour provinciale et une prison fermée en 1998. Suite à la constitution du district d'Ottawa en 1816, les Tribunaux des assis- es trimestrielles siégeaient dans le canton de Longueuil. En 1824, Jacob Marston fait don d'un terrain pour l'usage des tribunaux. La section centrale du bâtiment est construite par les entrepreneurs McDonald et Beckworth en 1825. Le palais de justice est agrandi plusieurs fois notamment en 1861 et 1862. Cinq prisonniers y furent pendus, les deux derniers en 1933. Trois détenus s'en sont évadés....pour goûter à une brève liberté ! Aujourd'hui, on y trouve l'ancienne prison de L'Ori- gnal, devenue un centre d'interprétation ouvert aux visiteurs. Des procès avec ou sans jury ont encore lieu dans le palais de justice. Court House and Jail (1825)

The Court house and jail made L'Orignal an important centre
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
in Ontario. Built in the neo-classical loyalist style, this is the oldest existing Court house in Ontario and its adjacent jail was in use until 1998. After the creation of the Ottawa District in 1816, quarterly court hearings were held in Longueuil Township. In 1824, Jacob Marston donated a piece of land for the usage of the Court. The central section of the actual Court house was built by contractors McDonald and Beckworth in 1825. The building was enlarged, particularly in 1861-1862. Five prisoners were hanged at the jail, the last two in 1933. Three prisoners escaped.... to enjoy a temporary freedom. Today, L'Orignal Old Jail has become an interpretive center open to visitors while the Court- house is still holding trials with or without a jury.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Law Enforcement. A significant historical year for this entry is 1825.
 
Location. 45° 37.162′ N, 74° 41.432′ W. Marker is in L'Orignal, Ontario, in Prescott and Russell United Counties. Marker is on Queen Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1023 Queen St, L'Orignal ON K0B K0B, Canada. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. District Court-House and Gaol 1825 (a few steps from this marker); Bureau d'enregistrement / The Land Registry Office (within shouting distance of this marker); St Jean-Baptiste Catholic Church
Palais de justice et prison / Court House and Jail image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Robert Rusaw, July 4, 2022
2. Palais de justice et prison / Court House and Jail
(about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Presbytère de l'église catholique / Rectory of the Catholic Church (about 90 meters away); Maison Poulin House (about 150 meters away); Ancien bureau de poste / Old Post Office (about 150 meters away); Banque Sterling Bank (about 150 meters away); Residence Chatelain House (about 150 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in L'Orignal.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 16, 2022. It was originally submitted on July 15, 2022, by Robert Rusaw of Massena, New York. This page has been viewed 45 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 15, 2022, by Robert Rusaw of Massena, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=202292

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 23, 2024