Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Bridgewater in Litchfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Bridgewater

 
 
Bridgewater Marker (front) image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, June 22, 2009
1. Bridgewater Marker (front)
Inscription.  In 1722 Samuel Clark, an original proprietor of New Milford, had a portion of his share of land surveyed in the southerly part of that town known as Shepaug Neck. Although this later became known as Bridgewater, it was not incorporated as a separate town until 1856. Among the earliest settlers was Joseph Treat, grandson of Robert Treat, a colonial governor of Connecticut. Others included the four sons of Jeremiah Canfield, Sr. Descendants of these families played a prominent role in the early history of the area. The first school district was established in 1758.
By the latter part of the 18th century, petitions were made to New Milford for a separate ecclesiastical society, a request granted in 1803. A meetinghouse, the present Congregational Church, was erected in 1807. Most early settlers were Congregationalists, but other faiths were represented as well.
(Continued on other side)

(Continued from other side)
Until about 1800 a Baptist church stood on what is now called Christian Street. Episcopal worship began in private homes around 1810, and a church was built
Bridgewater Marker (back) image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, June 22, 2009
2. Bridgewater Marker (back)
in 1836. Present St. Mark’s Church was erected in 1859.
Early Bridgewater was divided into several districts, each having its own store, school, mills, and blacksmith and woodworking shops. Sheep were raised and tobacco grown. Dairy farming developed in the 19th century. Hat making flourished 1823 to 1870, when Glover Sanford & Sons had a factory on Hat Shop Hill. For some years Bridgewater was the boyhood home of Captain William D. Burnham, founder of the American Hawaiian Steamship Company. His generous bequests made possible the library and the school on Main Street that bear his name. The town was also the birthplace and place of business of Charles B. Thompson, a leading pioneer in mail-order selling. Bridgewater today is largely residential.
Erected by the Town of Bridgewater
the Bridgewater Historical Society
and the Connecticut Historical Commission
1979

 
Erected 1979 by Town of Bridgewater, Bridgewater Historical Society, Connecticut Historical Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 41° 32.026′ N, 73° 21.934′ W. Marker is in Bridgewater, Connecticut, in Litchfield County. Marker is at the intersection
Bridgewater Marker and Bridgewater Historical Society Building image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, June 22, 2009
3. Bridgewater Marker and Bridgewater Historical Society Building
of Main Street South (Connecticut Route 133) and Center Street on Main Street South. Located in front of the Bridgewater Historical Society next to the Bridgewater Town Hall. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bridgewater CT 06752, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Childhood Home of Capt. William D. Burnham (within shouting distance of this marker); Bridgewater Veterans (within shouting distance of this marker); Bridgewater WW I Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bridgewater WW II Memorial (about 300 feet away); The Orzech Family Preserve (approx. 2.2 miles away); Bridgeport Wood Finishing Company (approx. 2.3 miles away); Lover’s Leap State Park (approx. 2.3 miles away); Falls Bridge (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bridgewater.
 
Also see . . .  Bridgewater, Connecticut. Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on September 20, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.) 
 
The Burnham Library image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, March 2, 2010
4. The Burnham Library
The Burnham School image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, March 2, 2010
5. The Burnham School
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 25, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 1,366 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 25, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.   4, 5. submitted on March 3, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 28, 2021