Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Aldridge in Jefferson County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
 

Ruins of St. George’s Chapel

 
 
Ruins of St. George’s Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 16, 2007
1. Ruins of St. George’s Chapel Marker
Inscription.  This chapel was built by devout people of (then) Frederick Parish. Frederick County, Virginia joined Col. Robert Worthington in completing it in 1769. It was first called the English Church, then Berkeley Church, then Norborne Chapel, as the parish was Norborne, 1770–1815. The Rev. Daniel Sturgis was its first minister of record 1771–1785. The Washington, Nourse, Davenport and Throckmorton families worshiped here.
 
Erected 1970 by West Virginia Department of Archives and History.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionColonial EraSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia Archives and History series list.
 
Location. 39° 17.592′ N, 77° 53.58′ W. Marker is near Aldridge, West Virginia, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Middleway Pike (West Virginia Route 51) east of North Ridge Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Charles Town WV 25414, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Locust Hill (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different
Ruins of St. George’s Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 16, 2007
2. Ruins of St. George’s Chapel Marker
marker also named "Locust Hill" (approx. 1.1 miles away); Richwood Hall (approx. 1½ miles away); Harewood (approx. 1½ miles away); Brownfields to Greenfields (approx. 1½ miles away); Martin Robison Delany (approx. 1.6 miles away); Office of Charles Washington (approx. 1.6 miles away); A Brief History of the Old Presbyterian Church in Charles Town (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Aldridge.
 
Regarding Ruins of St. George’s Chapel. Was the first Anglican church in the area. George Washington’s brother Samuel was church warden.
 
Site of the Ruins from the Marker Location image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, March 15, 2008
3. Site of the Ruins from the Marker Location
Chapel Ruins image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, March 15, 2008
4. Chapel Ruins
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 11, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 9, 2007, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,448 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 9, 2007, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.   3, 4. submitted on March 15, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement
Jan. 26, 2021