Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Franklin in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Rucker-Lawrence House

 
 
Rucker-Lawrence House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Darren Jefferson Clay, July 23, 2022
1. Rucker-Lawrence House Marker
Inscription.  The Rucker-Lawrence House was erected on this site in 1952 by Robert Rucker, Sr., a local brick mason, building contractor and developer of Rucker Subdivision, the first exclusive African American subdivision developed in Franklin after World War II. Robert and Florence Rucker reared two children, Robert Rucker, Jr., and Velena Rucker Stevenson and a granddaughter, Charlene M. Stevenson. The Rucker family resided in the house from 1952- 1957. The next owners were Elige Woodrow and Katherine Smith Lawrence, African Americans, who purchased the house in 1957, living here until their deaths in 1988 and 2001, respectively. Elige and Katherine were lifelong residents of Williamson County and leaders and model citizens in the Franklin community.

Elige Lawrence owned a 60-acre farm in the Southall community where he grew quality produce and employed local farmhands for over 40 years. He was well known as a coon-hunter, open-pit barbecue cook, and served as church deacon for over 50 years, Katherine Lawrence was a Special Education teacher in the Williamson County Schools, a prominent seamstress, and also a leader in the church
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
community. Elige and Katherine were the parents of seven children: Elige Jr., Dr. Dymus, Dr. Felix, Dr. Charles, Rev. Odie, Emily, and Maggie Jean. Six graduated from Tennessee universities. In 2005, the house was sold to Teresa Noland, who sold it in 2012 to a land developer. The house was demolished and the property became part of Rucker Park in 2013,
 
Erected 2014 by Williamson County Historical Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: African Americans. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee – Williamson County Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1952.
 
Location. 35° 54.566′ N, 86° 53.642′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Tennessee, in Williamson County. Marker is at the intersection of Velena Street and Rucker Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Velena Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 161 Velena St, Franklin TN 37064, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Major Anthony Sharpe (1746-1812)/ George Hulme (1761-1835) (approx. 0.6 miles away); Rev. Mark Lyell Locke Andrews (approx. ¾ mile away); Franklin Noon Rotary Rodeo (approx. one mile away); African-American Schools in Franklin / African-American Schools in Williamson County (approx.
Rucker-Lawrence House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Darren Jefferson Clay, July 23, 2022
2. Rucker-Lawrence House Marker
1.1 miles away); Federal Forward Line (approx. 1.1 miles away); Franklin Housing Authority (FHA)/ Reddick Street (approx. 1.1 miles away); Beasley Town / Bate's Division on the Western Flank (approx. 1.1 miles away); Whitehall (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
 
Rucker-Lawrence House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Darren Jefferson Clay, July 23, 2022
3. Rucker-Lawrence House Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 25, 2022. It was originally submitted on July 24, 2022, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. This page has been viewed 299 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 24, 2022, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia.   3. submitted on August 24, 2022, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=202649

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 27, 2024