Near Rockbridge in Hocking County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Lock No. 12 The Sheep Pen Lock
The twelfth lock on the Hocking Canal, the Sheep Pen lock, underscores Southeast Ohioans' efforts to open their region to the world during the mid-nineteenth century. Built as a guard lock, it was intended to permit slackwater navigation of the Hocking River by regulating water depths where river and canal met. Those plans were later abandoned and the mechanism was converted to a lift lock, which raised and lowered boats as required by changes in the canal's elevation.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
Stretching from Carroll to Athens, the Hocking Canal opened in 1843. The canal stimulated the growth of Lancaster, Logan, and Nelsonville, and opened the Hocking Valley to trade. Its major exports were salt, coal, and iron. Imports included goods from the East, such as cloth, shoes, and dishes. The advent of railroads in the 1850s meant the beginning of the end for canals. In 1894, the Hocking Canal was abandoned.
Erected 1998 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, Sheep Pen Lock Committee, Hocking County Tourism
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1843.
Location. 39° 34.767′ N, 82° 30.067′ W. Marker is near Rockbridge, Ohio, in Hocking County. Marker is on Dupler Road, ¾ mile east of Mill Road, on the left when traveling east. Marker is in a wooded area and not easily seen from Dupler Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rockbridge OH 43149, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Scaparrotti Veterans Bridge (approx. 1.8 miles away); Falls Mill Bridge (approx. 4½ miles away); Thomas Worthington (approx. 5.6 miles away); McCarthy-Blosser-Dillon Building (approx. 5.6 miles away); Hocking County Desert Storm Memorial (approx. 5.6 miles away); Hocking County Vietnam Veterans Memorial (approx. 5.6 miles away); Hocking County Iraqi Freedom Memorial (approx. 5.6 miles away); Hocking County Korean War Memorial (approx. 5.6 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on July 24, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 29, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 2,280 times since then and 414 times this year. Last updated on July 24, 2022, by Grant & Mary Ann Fish of Galloway, Ohio. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 29, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.