Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Williston in Williams County, North Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

The Old Red Brick Williams County Courthouse

Williams County Centennial

— 1891-1991 —

 
 
The Old Red Brick Williams County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, July 25, 2022
1. The Old Red Brick Williams County Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  
Located on this site, the old red brick courthouse, born during the boom of 1899, built to serve Williams County citizens as the capitol of their government. The courthouse was a place criminals and bootleggers received their verdicts, ranchers sued the railroad for running over their livestock and railroad lawyers would go after some who had made off with snow fence. It was a place emigrants were awarded naturalization papers, marriages and religious services took place, civic groups met and elections were held. In this venerable structure homestead rights were filed, taxes paid, coyote bounties collected, complaints made to the Sheriff and petitions presented for firebreaks, school and new roads. During wartime, men were drafted into the armed services and ration boards oversaw distribution of scarce items. In 1944, a huge billboard erected on the courthouse grounds proudly displayed the names of all who had entered the armed services. As a result of these meaningful things, the people felt the old courthouse was really theirs. Three generations climbed the steps and trod the hardwood floors as for 55 years the courthouse served the citizens
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
well in its intended function.
 
Erected 1991 by Williams County.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureLaw EnforcementSettlements & SettlersWar, World II. A significant historical year for this entry is 1899.
 
Location. 48° 8.793′ N, 103° 37.208′ W. Marker is in Williston, North Dakota, in Williams County. Marker is at the intersection of East Broadway (North Dakota Route 1804) and 1st Avenue East, on the right when traveling east on East Broadway. Marker is located near the sidewalk at the southeast corner of the intersection. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Williston ND 58801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
More about this marker. Both sides of this marker have the same inscription.
 
Also see . . .  Williams County. Courthouses website entry:
The county was created in 1891 and Williston was selected as the county seat. The first court met in the Odd Fellows Lodge. The first courthouse was a frame structure built by H E Fields and R E Patch in 1894 at a cost of $1171. The second courthouse was designed by Charles E Bell and John N Kent and built by Lease & Richards of Helena, Montana in 1899 at a cost of $11,456. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1953 to 1954 at a cost of $715,000.
(Submitted on August 1, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
The Old Red Brick Williams County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
via US Courthouses, Unknown
2. The Old Red Brick Williams County Courthouse
Half-hidden by the county Honor Roll (qv)
 
 
The Old Red Brick Williams County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, July 25, 2022
3. The Old Red Brick Williams County Courthouse Marker
(looking southeast • former courthouse site is now a parking lot)
The Old Red Brick Williams County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, July 25, 2022
4. The Old Red Brick Williams County Courthouse Marker
(looking northwest • Broadway & 1st Avenue in background)
Third (present) Williams County Courthouse (1953) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, July 25, 2022
5. Third (present) Williams County Courthouse (1953)
(two blocks east of marker on East Broadway)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 23, 2022. It was originally submitted on July 30, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 218 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on August 1, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.   2. submitted on September 23, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.   3, 4, 5. submitted on August 1, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=202897

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 20, 2024