Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Laredo in Webb County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

City Hall and Market House

 
 
City Hall and Market House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, July 29, 2022
1. City Hall and Market House Marker
Inscription.  In the early 1880s several railroad lines were built into Laredo from both the United States and Mexico, resulting in major economic boom for the city. Laredo's population tripled in size with the arrival of U.S. and Mexican immigrants, and city leaders began planning for larger municipal offices to replace a smaller facility on the south side of St. Augustine Plaza.

The construction of this City Hall and Market House complex in 1883-84 led to a rapid shift of community activity away from St. Augustine Plaza and toward this site. The city hall housed offices of the mayor and other city officials, city council chambers, and an auditorium. Later public uses of the building included a skating rink, library, and temporary quarters for Laredo High School in 1916-17.

The adjacent Marker House provided indoor retail space to merchants who had previously operated from open-air stalls on the site. By 1930 it was converted into office space and an arena for local athletic events. Although the City Hall and Market House complex has been significantly altered over the years, it remains an important landmark and link to Laredo's late
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
19th-century development.
 
Erected 1990 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 874.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Hispanic AmericansIndustry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1930.
 
Location. 27° 30.281′ N, 99° 30.347′ W. Marker is in Laredo, Texas, in Webb County. Marker is at the intersection of San Agustin Avenue and Hidalgo Street on San Agustin Avenue. The marker is located at the front entrance to the Laredo Center for the Arts. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 500 San Agustin Avenue, Laredo TX 78040, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Laredo's Washington's Birthday Celebration (within shouting distance of this marker); The Laredo National Bank (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Laredo Fire Department (about 700 feet away); The Ramón Family (about 700 feet away); St. Augustine Parochial School (about 800 feet away); Laredo Election Riot, 1886 (about 800 feet away); Original Site of Villa De Laredo (approx. 0.2 miles away); Benavides Brothers (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Laredo.
 
Also see . . .  History of the Mercado Building. Laredo Center for the Arts
The early 1800s brought
City Hall and Market House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, July 29, 2022
2. City Hall and Market House Marker
dynamic change to the city of Laredo. The financially troubled Texas-Mexican Railroad reached Laredo from Corpus Christi in November of 1881. It was followed in December by the arrival of the International and Great Northern Railroad from San Antonio. At the same time, the Mexican National Railway raced to extend its lines south from Nuevo Laredo and north from Mexico City. In 1881, the Rio Grande and Eagle Pass narrow-gauge built thirty miles of track upriver to the coal mines at Dolores, Minera and Darwin. The population of Laredo quickly grew to three times what it had been less than a decade earlier. (1) Immigrants poured into Laredo from all over the United States and Mexico.
(Submitted on July 31, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
The view of the City Hall and Market House Marker from across the street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, July 29, 2022
3. The view of the City Hall and Market House Marker from across the street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 31, 2022. It was originally submitted on July 31, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 137 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 31, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=202955

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 24, 2024