Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Laredo in Webb County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Holding Institute (Laredo Seminary)

 
 
Holding Institute (Laredo Seminary) Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, July 29, 2022
1. Holding Institute (Laredo Seminary) Marker
Inscription.  The Women's Board of Missions of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and missionaries Annie Williams and Rebecca Toland, established the Laredo Seminary in 1880 as a boarding school for young women. The school opened in 1882 at a site near the Paso de San Jacinto of the Rio Grande, Fort McIntosh, and the International and Great Northern Railroad depot.

In October 1883, Kentucky native Nannie Emory Holding began her missionary work at the seminary. Later as superintendent, she led a marked period of growth for the school, both in terms of physical size and number of students. Laredo Seminary opened its doors to young men in 1885, and by 1888 it included 125 pupils from Mexico and the United States. After Holding's retirement in 1913, Laredo Seminary was renamed the Holding Institute.

The institute suffered severe river flooding in the 1940s and 1950s. After a 1954 flood virtually destroyed the campus, the Holding Institute moved to north Laredo. In 1987, it relocated to its current site at the former city lumber company building. The institute continues to play a role in Laredo's educational system by teaching English
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
in adult education classes.

The history of Laredo Seminary and the Holding Institute stands as a reminder of Women's Mission Work on the United States-Mexico border in the 19th and 20th centuries, which provided thousands of border youth the opportunity to receive training and education in preparation for adulthood.
 
Erected 2001 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12529.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionEducationHispanic AmericansWomen. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1883.
 
Location. 27° 30.54′ N, 99° 30.628′ W. Marker is in Laredo, Texas, in Webb County. Marker is at the intersection of Santa Maria Avenue and Washington Street, on the left when traveling north on Santa Maria Avenue. The marker is located north of the front entrance to the Holding Institute building along the wall. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1102 Santa Maria Avenue, Laredo TX 78040, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. El Primer Congreso Mexicanista (approx. 0.2 miles away); Saint Peter the Apostle Catholic Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Texas Mexican Railway (approx. 0.2 miles away); United States Post Office and Courthouse (approx. 0.2
The view of the Holding Institute (Laredo Seminary) Marker from across the street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse
2. The view of the Holding Institute (Laredo Seminary) Marker from across the street
miles away); Jovita Idar (approx. 0.2 miles away); Laredo World War I Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jarvis Plaza (approx. 0.2 miles away); Webb County (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Laredo.
 
Also see . . .  Holding Institute. Texas State Historical Association
Holding Institute, originally known as Laredo Seminary, was founded at Laredo, Texas, in 1880 by the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Its site, overlooking the Rio Grande south of Fort McIntosh, was donated by Elias Robertson. A. H. Sutherland and Joseph Norwood, both ministers, founded the school for the instruction of Mexican children. In 1883 Nannie Emory Holding of Covington, Kentucky, arrived at the seminary and was its superintendent until her retirement in 1913. During her administration the institute was enlarged to include seven buildings on a campus of twenty-six acres. A fifty-year charter was secured in April 1891. Bachelors degrees in teacher training were conferred before 1913.
(Submitted on August 1, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 1, 2022. It was originally submitted on July 31, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 383 times since then and 108 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 1, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=202972

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 28, 2024