Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Laredo in Webb County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Calvary Catholic Cemetery

 
 
Calvary Catholic Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, July 29, 2022
1. Calvary Catholic Cemetery Marker
Inscription.  Laredo experienced substantial growth in the late 1800s and soon the city needed a new cemetery. The process of creating Laredo's fourth Camposanto, however, was not an easy one. Efforts to build the cemetery date to the 1880s, but political considerations, economic transactions and complaints from residents delayed its use until the turn of the 20th century.

Special sections in the cemetery include Babyland (for infants), and plots for burials of priests, Marist brothers and four orders of nuns who served Laredo (Ursuline, Divine Providence, Sisters of Mercy and Sisters of the Sacred Heart). Sections named Resurrection Garden, Pavilion Garden and Waterfall Garden serve as the final resting place for many laity. Soldiers, including Civil War veterans, are also interred here. Santos and Refugio Benavides, brothers who gained fame in the Civil War, and Bishop Pedro (Peter) Verdaguer of the Vicariate of Brownsville, 1896-1909, are among the notable individuals buried in the cemetery. With several additions since the first burial in 1901, including a mausoleum in 1960 and a columbarium in 2004, the cemetery continues to be a reminder
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of Laredo's rich heritage.
Historic Texas Cemetery - 2005

 
Erected 2005 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13507.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. A significant historical year for this entry is 1901.
 
Location. 27° 31.814′ N, 99° 29.031′ W. Marker is in Laredo, Texas, in Webb County. Marker is at the intersection of East Saunders Street (Business U.S. 59) and McPherson Road, on the right when traveling east on East Saunders Street. The marker is located at the front entrance on the north side of the cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3600 McPherson Road, Laredo TX 78040, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Santos Benavides (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bishop Peter Verdaguer (about 700 feet away); Refugio Benavides (about 700 feet away); City Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); San Bernardo Avenue (approx. 1.4 miles away); Raymond and Tirza Martin High School (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Texas Mexican Railway (approx. 2 miles away); Webb County Courthouse (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Laredo.
 
Calvary Catholic Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, July 29, 2022
2. Calvary Catholic Cemetery Marker
The view of the Calvary Catholic Cemetery and Marker from the front entrance image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, July 29, 2022
3. The view of the Calvary Catholic Cemetery and Marker from the front entrance
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 3, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 2, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 324 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 3, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=203078

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 25, 2024