Near Dayton in Marengo County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Paulling Place Cemetery
Adjacent to the Paulling Place Cemetery is the Ernest Everett Hale family cemetery. Hale came to Marengo County in 1925 as County Extension Agent and aspired to own a Canebrake plantation. He returned in 1951 to purchase Paulling Place. He and others of the family are buried in the cemetery which is maintained, like the plantation, by his descendants.
Erected 2011 by Alabama Historical Association.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans Cemeteries & Burial Sites. In addition, it is included in the Alabama Historical Association series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1836.
Location. 32° 21.92′ N, 87° 32.659′ W. Marker is near Dayton, Alabama, in Marengo County. Marker can be reached from County Route 63, 0.2 miles south of County Route 53, on the right when traveling south. Marker is about 250 feet from Marengo County 63, off a small, unsigned dirt lane. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6419 Marengo County 63, Thomaston AL 36783, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bethel Baptist Church & Cemetery (approx. 4˝ miles away); Bethel Hill Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 4.6 miles away); Church of the Holy Cross (approx. 6.2 miles away); St. Michael's Episcopal Churchyard (approx. 6.2 miles away); St. Michael's Cemetery (approx. 6.2 miles away); Green Gables (approx. 6.4 miles away); History of the Town of Thomaston (approx. 8.4 miles away); Freetown (approx. 11.4 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on August 12, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 12, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 198 times since then and 152 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 12, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.