Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tiburon in Marin County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Del Mar

The Tiburon Historical Trail

— Compare Then and Now —

 
 
Del Mar Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joseph Alvarado, July 30, 2022
1. Del Mar Marker
Inscription.  Little Reed Dairy, which operated across the street from here (circa 1888-1954), was like the other three Tiburon dairies; a complete working community.

The ranch hands were mostly bachelors living in bunkhouses. For the few families there was work for all. Women cooked the meals, cleaned and did the laundry; children had before and after school chores. Many children attended the first Reed School (1874-1921) located near Blackie’s Pasture.

In 1955 the hay barn was torn down and the milking barn refurbished for use as the sales office of a new subdivision, Del Mar Estates. At this time the stone post and split rail fence was added and can still be seen today. The following year the Reed Union School District purchased the school site and used the building as its district office. Del Mar School initially opened in October 1961 and was fully completed in May 1964.

The Tiburon Historical Trail
The Tiburon Historical Trail as a joint project of the Tiburon Peninsula Foundation and the Belvedere-Tiburon Landmarks Society. This trail runs between Blackie’s Pasture and the Donahue Depot in downtown Tiburon. The
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
early photographs below were taken from the location of this panel.
 
Erected by Tiburon Peninsula Foundation and Belvedere-Tiburon Landmarks Society. (Marker Number 2A.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationIndustry & CommerceParks & Recreational AreasSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1888.
 
Location. 37° 53.562′ N, 122° 29.032′ W. Marker is in Tiburon, California, in Marin County. Marker is on Tiburon Boulevard (Route 131), on the right when traveling south. The marker is mounted to a metal post in the Tiburon Linear Park, next to Tiburon Boulevard, just north of Avenida Miraflores. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Belvedere Tiburon CA 94920, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Feed Lot For Oysters (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Welcome to Trestle Trail (approx. 0.3 miles away); Saving and Protecting Our Bay (approx. 0.4 miles away); Shapero Bridge (approx. 0.4 miles away); Tiburon's Railroad History (approx. 0.4 miles away); History of the Tiburon Trestle (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Trestle and Blackie's Pasture (approx. 0.4 miles away); Railroad Gives Way to Strollers, Cyclists and Joggers (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tiburon.
Del Mar Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joseph Alvarado, July 30, 2022
2. Del Mar Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 29, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 15, 2022, by Joseph Alvarado of Livermore, California. This page has been viewed 73 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 15, 2022, by Joseph Alvarado of Livermore, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=203901

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 12, 2024