Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Powder Springs in Cobb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Hardee's Corps at Powder Springs

 
 
Hardee's Corps at Powder Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, June 14, 2009
1. Hardee's Corps at Powder Springs Marker
Inscription.  May 23, 1864. Lt. Gen. Wm. J. Hardee’s A. C. [CS] marched from Stegall's Station (Emerson), and Etowah River, via New Hope Ch., reaching Powder Springs afternoon of the 24th.

The corps made this march in advance of Johnston’s forces [CS] to find the rt. flank of Sherman’s army [US] ascertained to be approaching Dallas, Paulding Co., from the W.

Marking time, Hardee moved S.E. to Powder Springs for water. May 25, 3 a. m. the corps counter-marched toward Dallas, there to await orders placing it on the embattled Dallas - New Hope Church line.
 
Erected 1988 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 033-38.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is May 23, 1944.
 
Location. 33° 51.982′ N, 84° 42.038′ W. Marker is in Powder Springs, Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker is at the intersection of Powder Springs - Dallas Road SW (Georgia Route 6) and Florence Road, on the right
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
when traveling east on Powder Springs - Dallas Road SW. Ga Highway 6 is the former US 278. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Powder Springs GA 30127, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Coats & Clark Thread Mill (approx. 3½ miles away); Eight Point Star (approx. 3½ miles away); The Hiram Rosenwald School (approx. 3.6 miles away); Clarkdale Historic District (approx. 3.6 miles away); Henry Lester House (approx. 3.6 miles away); Clarkdale Mill Village Historic District (approx. 3.8 miles away); George Darby House Cleburne’s H’dq’rs. (approx. 3.9 miles away); Site: Colley House Hood’s H’dq’rs (approx. 3.9 miles away).
 
Hardee's Corps at Powder Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, June 14, 2009
2. Hardee's Corps at Powder Springs Marker
Looking west, toward the town of Dallas and New Hope Church; Hardee's route.
Hardee's Corps at Powder Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, June 14, 2009
3. Hardee's Corps at Powder Springs Marker
Looking east, toward the town of Powder Springs
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 1, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,163 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 1, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=20425

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 23, 2024