Two Harbors in Lake County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Agate Bay Light Station
The Two Harbors Light Station was completed in 1892. The light is still active and in operation 24 hours a day. The light is almost 80 feet above lake levels. Besides the six ore docks, there were two docks used for freight, one coal dock and a pulp-wood shipping dock. By the turn-of-the-century between 50 to 75 ships a week were using Agate Bay.
The Two Harbors Light Station is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Lighthouses series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1887.
Location. 47° 1.046′ N, 91° 40.34′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Two Harbors MN 55616, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Edna G. (here, next to this marker); Two Harbors Iron Ore Docks (here, next to this marker); Welcome to Paul H. Van Hoven Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Duluth Missabe & Iron Range Yellowstone Mallet #229 (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Duluth and Iron Range Railroad Locomotive #3 (about 700 feet away); Ore Car #251, 1884 & Bobber Caboose #22 (#52), 1893 (about 700 feet away); First Ore Taken From A Minnesota Mine (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named First Ore Taken From A Minnesota Mine (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Two Harbors.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 20, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 20, 2022. This page has been viewed 82 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 20, 2022.