Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Sandusky in Erie County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Fort Sandusky

 
 
Fort Sandusky Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 30, 2009
1. Fort Sandusky Marker
Inscription.  Erected by the British near this junction in 1761; destroyed during Pontiac's Conspiracy of 1763. The fort was strategically located near Indian towns and trading posts on the Great Indian trail between Detroit and Pittsburgh.
 
Erected 1979 by Erie County Historical Society and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 7-22.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and CastlesMilitaryNative AmericansWars, US Indian. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list.
 
Location. 41° 26.741′ N, 82° 46.219′ W. Marker is in Sandusky, Ohio, in Erie County. Marker is at the intersection of Venice Road (U.S. 6) and Fremont Avenue (U.S. 6), in the median on Venice Road. This historical marker is located on a traffic island in the middle of the T-intersection with Venice Road and Fremont Avenue. Both of these roads are part of US 6, which 0.6 miles to the south has a junction with state
Fort Sandusky Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 30, 2009
2. Fort Sandusky Marker
View of historical marker situated on the traffic island at the T-intersection of Venice Road and Fremont Avenue.
route 2, and then us 6 follows Fremont Avenue north to this intersection with Venice Road, where US 6 turns eastward. It is situated in what use to be the community of Venice, Ohio, which is now part of Sandusky, Ohio. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sandusky OH 44870, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Village of Venice (within shouting distance of this marker); Cholera Cemetery / In Honor of the Doctors (approx. 2.4 miles away); Holy Angels Catholic Church (approx. 2˝ miles away); Medusa Portland Cement Company (approx. 2.7 miles away); The Hinde & Dauch Paper Company (approx. 3 miles away); Old Sandusky Post Office (approx. 3 miles away); Underground Railroad (approx. 3 miles away); Good Samaritan Hospital (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandusky.
 
Also see . . .
1. Fort Sandusky. This link is published and made available by, "Ohio History Central," an online encyclopedia of Ohio History. (Submitted on July 2, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.) 

2. Pontiac's Rebellion. This link is published and made available by, "Ohio History Central," an online encyclopedia of Ohio History. (Submitted on July 2, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.) 

3. Chief Pontiac. This web link was both published and made available by, "Absolute Astronomy.com," in it's quest to enable "exploring the universe of knowledge." (Submitted on July 2, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
 

4. Fort Sandusky. (Submitted on July 2, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 2, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,410 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 2, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 24, 2021