New Richmond in Clermont County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
1839 — 1892
Built in the valley below by Rev. Daniel Parker’s family. Graduated 1500 students of many professions.
First Principal—James, their son, founder of Teachers Institute of Clermont County.
Erected 1975 by Monroe Township Bicentennial Committee.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Education • Women. A significant historical year for this entry is 1839.
Location. 38° 55.387′ N, 84° 15.143′ W. Marker is in New Richmond, Ohio, in Clermont County. Marker is on Clermontville-Laurel Road, 0.1 miles east of Ohio River Scenic Parkway (U.S. 52). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1331 Clermontville Laurel Rd, New Richmond OH 45157, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mt. Zion Chapel / Mt. Zion Cemetery - Lafayette School (approx. 1.1 miles away); Franklin Chapel (approx. 2.1 miles away); Point Pleasant (approx. 2.1 miles away); Jean DeLannoy Ulysses Simpson Grant (approx. 2.3 miles away); U.S. Grant Historic District (approx. 2.3 miles away); Ulysses Grant (approx. 2.3 miles away); U. S. Grant Birthplace (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Richmond.
More about this marker. This historical marker is on private property, visible from the road. The former grounds of the academy are private property. Do not enter the property without permission.
Regarding Clermont Academy. The Clermont Academy is also known as the Parker Academy.
Also see . . .
1. Wikipedia entry.
The Parker Academy (officially known as Clermont Academy) was a private school founded in 1839 in Clermontville, Ohio near New Richmond, Ohio. The founders of the academy were Baptist minister Daniel Parker and his wife Priscilla, who were staunch abolitionists. It was one of the first Ohio schools which welcomed both boys and girls, regardless of race. Several of the early students were runaway enslaved people. The first teacher was James K. Parker, son of Rev. Parker.(Submitted on August 23, 2022.)
In the early days, the students were taught
2. History of the Parker Family and Academy. This page includes a 7 minute video of the current property owner relating the history of the Academy. Excerpt:
Originally known as Clermont Academy, it is believed to be one of the first schools in the United States to offer fully integrated classrooms that were open to anyone that desired an education — no matter the age, gender, race, or ideology.(Submitted on August 23, 2022.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 23, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 23, 2022, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 142 times since then and 78 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 23, 2022, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.