Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Port Lavaca in Calhoun County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Springs of Calhoun County

 
 
Springs of Calhoun County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dave W, March 6, 2022
1. Springs of Calhoun County Marker
Inscription.  

Located within 100 yards from here is one of Calhoun County's essential springs called Six Mile Watering Hole. Though the number of springs in Calhoun County is small, the location of these springs has played a part in the history of this land for thousands of years. Flowing chiefly from Beaumont sand and silt formations, these springs have served Paleo-Indians up to French explorer Rene-Robert Cavelier, Sieur de la Salle in 1685 on Matagorda Island, Franciscan Missionaries near Mission Lake in 1793, New Linnville near the mouth of Linn Bayou after the Linnville raid of 1840, Confederate Fort Esperanza in late 1861, and in 1865, Union occupation along Chocolate Creek near Johnson Springs.
 
Erected 2019 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 22532.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ExplorationNative AmericansSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1685.
 
Location. 28° 39.946′ N, 96° 40.158′ W. Marker is in Port Lavaca, Texas, in Calhoun County. Marker is on
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Lake Placedo Road north of County Highway 3084, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Port Lavaca TX 77979, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Six Mile-Royal Community (approx. one mile away); Six Mile Cemetery (approx. 1.4 miles away); Six Mile Presbyterian Church (approx. 1.4 miles away); Port Lavaca Chapter No. 373 Order of the Eastern Star (approx. 1.6 miles away); Lavaca Lodge No. 36, A.F.& A.M. (approx. 1.6 miles away); Site of the Town of Linnville (approx. 1.6 miles away); Don Martin de Leon (approx. 2 miles away); Salem Lutheran Church (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Lavaca.
 
Springs of Calhoun County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dave W, March 6, 2022
2. Springs of Calhoun County Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 6, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 28, 2022, by Dave W of Co, Colorado. This page has been viewed 158 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 28, 2022, by Dave W of Co, Colorado. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=204939

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 20, 2024