Oxford in Talbot County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
1870-1900: Oxford Booms Again
The Oxford Museum
— A Special Place; A Special Heritage —
The Oxford census lists 277 inhabitants.
General Tench Tilghman brings regular Maryland and Delaware Railroad service to Oxford, with its terminal at Pier Street. 3,000 people celebrate the first arriving train.
Oystering, boatbuilding and farming all help Oxford thrive, while steamboats and the railroad deliver tourists in growing numbers.
10 million bushels of oysters are shipped from Maryland to markets in the north.
A new school for White children is built in the Town Park, adjoining a small structure moved there in 1868.
River View House (on the site of the current Robert Morris Inn) opens, providing visitors with rooms, livery stable, a newly dug town well, and a bowling alley.
Eastford Hall Hotel, the largest structure ever built in Oxford, opens to visitors in Town Park.
Molly Stewart is appointed Oxford's first female postmistress. She will serve for 63 years.
Oxford is now a popular vacation spot, called "The Cape May of
A causeway is built connecting the Strand to the oyster packing plant and apple orchard on Kerr's Island.
The new Maryland Military and Naval Academy opens, led by Col. Oswald Tilghman, the son of Gen. Tench Tilghman. The main building is the Eastford Hall Hotel. 254 cadets are enrolled for the first year.
Maryland Military and Naval Academy is forced to close due to protests by cadets and poor management.
Eastford Hall reopens as a tourist hotel.
Oxford's population reaches 1200.
There are 68 businesses operating in Oxford including: 9 seafood packing houses, an ice cream parlor, 11 grocery stores, 6 dry good and clothing stores, 4 general stores, 2 boot and shoe dealers, 2 millineries, a butcher, a barber, 2 livery stables, a dentist, 3 carpenters, 2 doctors, a drug store, a bank, a furrier…
Eastford Hall Hotel burns. Sinclair House, Ornis House, River View Hotel, Tred Avon Inn and several boarding houses on the Strand continues to welcome summer vacationers.
Erected by The Oxford Museum.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Animals • Education Industry & Commerce • Parks & Recreational Areas • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1870.
Location. 38° 41.344′ N, 76° 10.348′ W. Marker is in Oxford, Maryland, in Talbot County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of South Morris Street (Maryland Route 333) and Market Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 S Morris St, Oxford MD 21654, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1900-1950: Holding On (here, next to this marker); 1952-Present: Oxford Rises Again (here, next to this marker); 1738-1793: Boom and Bust (here, next to this marker); Before There Was an Oxford (here, next to this marker); 1668-1710: Oxford's Beginnings (here, next to this marker); 1812-1865: Rebuilding (here, next to this marker); The Robert Morris Inn (approx. ¼ mile away); Remembering Ancestors: The Middle Passage in Oxford, Maryland (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oxford.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 28, 2022, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 142 times since then and 90 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 28, 2022, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.