Port Jervis in Orange County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
burned by Brant’s raiders,
July 20, 1779. Rebuilt,
1793. Headquarters of
John B. Jervis, 1826 – 28.
Erected 1936 by New York State Education Department.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts or Castles • Native Americans • War, US Revolutionary.
Location. 41° 22.706′ N, 74° 42.099′ W. Marker is in Port Jervis, New York, in Orange County. Marker is on W Main Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Port Jervis NY 12771, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Burned by Indians (a few steps from this marker); Fort Decker (a few steps from this marker); Bridge Ca. 1855 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tow Path (approx. 0.2 miles away); Erie Turntable (approx. 0.4 miles away); Toll House (approx. half a mile away); Port Jervis (approx. half a mile away); Banach Olympic Circle (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Jervis.
Related markers. list of markers that are related to this marker. Markers that follow the July 1779 raid made by Joseph Brant’s Mohawks and Tories and the subsequent Battle of Minisink.
Also see . . . The Battle of Minisink. The American Revolutionary War website. (Submitted on July 4, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 4, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 902 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 4, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.