Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Suttons Bay in Leelanau County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

St. Wenceslaus Church and Cemetery

 
 
St. Wenceslaus Church and Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kathy Garman, August 17, 2022
1. St. Wenceslaus Church and Cemetery Marker
Inscription.  St. Wenceslaus Church and Cemetery In the 1860s and 1870s settlers from Bohemia (now part of Czechoslovakia) came to this area and worked at the Leland Lake Superior Iron Foundry and the Gill sawmill. Catholics attended mass at the Holy Trinity Church in Leland until the church burned in 1880. In 1890 the first St. Wenceslaus Church was built and the cemetery established. Ornate metal grave markers reflect the Bohemian heritage, as do the names Bourda, Houdek, Hula, Jelinek, Kalchick, Kirt, Kolarik, Korson, Kovarik, Maresh, Novotny, Reicha and Sedlacek which appear in the cemetery. The church membership doubled by 1908. In 1914 volunteers hauled bricks and other materials to this site and built the present church. This Late Gothic Revival church was completed during that year. Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State Registered Local Site No. 1671 Property of the State of Michigan 1990
 
Erected 1990 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1671A.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Churches & ReligionSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1890.
 
Location. 45° 3.294′ N, 85° 40.737′ W. Marker is near Suttons Bay, Michigan, in Leelanau County. Marker is at the intersection of East Kolarik Road (County Route 626) and North Setterbo Road (County Route 637), on the left when traveling east on East Kolarik Road. The marker is located between the church and the cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8500 East Kolarik Road, Suttons Bay MI 49682, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.2 miles away); Omena Presbyterian Church (approx. 4˝ miles away); Leland Historical District (Fishtown) (approx. 4.6 miles away); Bahle's (approx. 5.6 miles away); Great Lakes Sport Fishery / Great Lakes Sport Fishery (approx. 6.1 miles away); Woolsey Family Farm / Clinton F. Woolsey Memorial Airport (approx. 9.1 miles away); The Hessler Log Home (approx. 10.7 miles away); Hesler Log House (approx. 10.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Suttons Bay.
 
Additional keywords.
St. Wenceslaus Church and the Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By John Garman, August 17, 2022
2. St. Wenceslaus Church and the Marker
Bohemian Settlement
 
St. Wenceslaus Cemetery east of the church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kathy Garman, August 17, 2022
3. St. Wenceslaus Cemetery east of the church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 4, 2022. It was originally submitted on November 14, 2014, by Thomas A. Thomas of Brielle, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 790 times since then and 83 times this year. Last updated on September 3, 2022, by John Garman of Rochester Hills. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 3, 2022, by John Garman of Rochester Hills. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=205322

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 12, 2024