Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Gregory in Delaware County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Former Site of Berlin School

1915 - 1973

— "Oh, we're proud of the school that stands on the hill." —

 
 
Former Site of Berlin School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., June 7, 2009
1. Former Site of Berlin School Marker
Inscription.  Berlin School stood on this site from 1915 to 1975. The first graduating class was in 1916, with the first graduate being Mildred Schanck. The last graduating class was in 1953 with 14 members. Over these 38 years, 472 students graduated from Berlin. From 1954 to 1971 Berlin was used as an elementary school and then razed in 1975. The Olentangy District was formed with the four schools: Berlin, Hyatts, Orange and Powell. Over the years the school was used as a community center and meeting place for Utopian Grange, the Farmers' Institute, Sunday School conventions, P.T.A. and 4-H Clubs.
 
Erected by Berlin Township and Berlin School Alumni.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureEducationFraternal or Sororal Organizations. In addition, it is included in the 4-H Youth Program series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1915.
 
Location. 40° 14.365′ N, 82° 59.254′ W. Marker is in Gregory, Ohio, in Delaware County. Marker is at the intersection of Cheshire Road and Old State Road/Lackey
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Old State Road, on the right when traveling west on Cheshire Road. Marker is in front of the Berlin Township Fire Station. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lewis Center OH 43035, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pioneer Radio Telescope / Big Ear Radio Telescope (approx. 3.8 miles away); First Jain Temple in Central Ohio / History of Jainism in Ohio (approx. 3.8 miles away); Africa Community (approx. 4 miles away); The Gooding House and Tavern / Rural Taverns in Early Ohio History (approx. 4.4 miles away); Liberty Presbyterian Church / Nathan Carpenter (approx. 4.7 miles away); Thomas Cellar (approx. 4.7 miles away); The Four Chaplains (approx. 5 miles away); James Kilbourne / Anson Williams (approx. 5 miles away).
 
Former Site of Berlin School Marker (back) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., June 7, 2009
2. Former Site of Berlin School Marker (back)
Former Site of Berlin School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., June 7, 2009
3. Former Site of Berlin School Marker
Berlin Township Fire Station in background.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 5, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,357 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 5, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=20554

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 27, 2024