Saint Hedwig in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary Roman Catholic Cemetery
In December 1854, Polish settlers began arriving in eastern Bexar County from their homeland in Upper Silesia. The early community of fewer than 20 families was called Martinez. In 1857, residents built a mission log church on the land of Ludwig Zaiontz (0.4 mi. W).
Adjacent to the church, which was served by traveling priests, the local settlers established a cemetery. The first known burial was that of the Rev. Julian Przysiecki in November 1863. Przysiecki's death, the result of a fall from his horse, left the church without a Polish-speaking priest for some time.
In 1868, the community built a new church dedicated to the Virgin Mary. In 1872, church members chartered a new cemetery at this site, reinterring burials from the original site. Residents changed the settlement's name to St. Hedwig in honor of Silesia’s Patron Saint. Today, gravestones indicate the ethnic heritage of the community, which has included residents of Polish descent as well as those with German, Hispanic, Irish, Alsatian and other surnames.
Erected 2005 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1872.
Location. 29° 24.983′ N, 98° 12.422′ W. Marker is in Saint Hedwig, Texas, in Bexar County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 1346. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14011 FM 1346, Saint Hedwig TX 78152, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Saint Hedwig (approx. 0.4 miles away); Beall Cemetery (approx. 3.6 miles away); Immanuel Lutheran Cemetery (approx. 5.3 miles away); Applewhite Homestead (approx. 6˝ miles away); La Vernia United Methodist Church (approx. 6.9 miles away); Brahan Lodge No. 226, A.F. & A.M. (approx. 6.9 miles away); a different marker also named La Vernia United Methodist Church (approx. 6.9 miles away); La Vernia (approx. 7 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on September 7, 2022. It was originally submitted on September 7, 2022, by Dave W of Co, Colorado. This page has been viewed 199 times since then and 146 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 7, 2022, by Dave W of Co, Colorado. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.