Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Richmond in Fort Bend County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Church of The Living God, Pillar and Ground of Truth

 
 
Church of The Living God, Pillar and Ground of Truth Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dave W, February 26, 2022
1. Church of The Living God, Pillar and Ground of Truth Marker
Inscription.  The Church of the Living God, Pillar and Ground of Truth was the first of its kind and denomination in Richmond, established in 1918 by evangelist Isom Ford. The first church was built in 1923 on Fourth and Travis Streets in the Freeman Town area. Later it was added on to in 1945, then moved to the back of the property in 1969, the year a new church in Thompsons was purchased and moved to 400 Travis Street. It was one of the first churches in the area with a female leader, Octavia Laws, in 1921. The church has served the community of Richmond in food and clothing ministry as well as ministry to nursing homes. It bridges generations from days of Freeman Town’s freed slaves to today.
 
Erected 2015 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18098.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansChurches & ReligionWomen. A significant historical year for this entry is 1918.
 
Location. 29° 34.665′ N, 95° 45.569′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Texas, in Fort Bend County. Marker is at the intersection of Travis
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Street and South 4th Street when traveling west on Travis Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 Travis St, Richmond TX 77469, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wyly Martin (approx. 0.2 miles away); City of Richmond (approx. ¼ mile away); Deaf Smith (approx. ¼ mile away); Erastus ("Deaf") Smith (approx. ¼ mile away); Moore Home (approx. ¼ mile away); Fort Bend War Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fort Bend County Courthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); Constantine W. Buckley (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
 
Church of The Living God, Pillar and Ground of Truth Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dave W, February 26, 2022
2. Church of The Living God, Pillar and Ground of Truth Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 19, 2022. It was originally submitted on September 12, 2022, by Dave W of Co, Colorado. This page has been viewed 232 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 12, 2022, by Dave W of Co, Colorado. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=206016

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 27, 2024