Marietta in Washington County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The W. P. Snyder Jr.
When it was launched in 1918, the boat was originally owned by Carnegie Steel and operated as the W.H. Clingerman. In 1945, the Crucible Steel Company purchased it and renamed it for their company chairman, W.P. Snyder Jr.
In many ways, the Snyder represents a bygone era on the Ohio River. It is one of the last steam-driven sternwheelers in existence. It is the only remaining “pool type” boat, meant to navigate the lock systems that line the Ohio and Monongahela Rivers.
The Snyder retired from service in 1954. Many similar boats were scrapped following their service, but the Snyder was donated as an example of a steam towboat and relocated here in 1955.
Erected by The Ohio Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1918.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 601 Front Street, Marietta OH 45750, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tour of the Snyder (here, next to this marker); Life on the River / Boats on the Ohio (here, next to this marker); The Towboat W. P. Snyder Jr. (a few steps from this marker); Flood Heights (a few steps from this marker); Mighty River / Learning the River (a few steps from this marker); River Town / Sails and Steam / The Highway West (a few steps from this marker); Oweva Engine (a few steps from this marker); Oldest Pilothouse (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marietta.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 9, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 873 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 9, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.