Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Marysville in Union County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Civil War Cannons

 
 
The Civil War Cannons Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., May 3, 2009
1. The Civil War Cannons Marker
Inscription.  To celebrate the new Courthouse in 1883, Col. W.L. Curry, Curry Cadets, led the Union County Chapter of the Grand Army of the Republic pictured above, in obtaining two cannons used in battle to commemorate the service of our county citizens in the Civil War. Each was rifled, and shot a shell rather than a ball. In 1898 the cannons were remounted and named “Dewey” and “Sampson” in honor of the two U.S. admirals who were victorious in the Spanish American War. In 2008 the cannons were again remounted and continue to stand guard over the courts, reminding visitors of Union County's military history.
 
Erected 2008.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Fraternal or Sororal OrganizationsWar, Spanish-AmericanWar, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1883.
 
Location. 40° 14.151′ N, 83° 22.149′ W. Marker is in Marysville, Ohio, in Union County. Marker is at the intersection of Court Street and Sixth Street, on the right when traveling south on Court Street. Marker and cannon are on
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
the grounds of the Union County Courthouse, adjacent to the now closed south entrance, about 200 feet northwest of the intersection of Court and Sixth Streets. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Marysville OH 43040, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Virginia Military District (within shouting distance of this marker); Union County Veterans Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Union County, Ohio / Union County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); The Oldest Brick House in Marysville (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Spirit of '76 (about 300 feet away); Cyprian Lee House / Colonel Noah Orr, “Union County Giant” (about 400 feet away); Colonel Noah Orr (about 600 feet away); Marysville, Ohio (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marysville.
 
The Civil War Cannons and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., May 3, 2009
2. The Civil War Cannons and Marker
Courthouse in background.
The Civil War Cannons and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., May 3, 2009
3. The Civil War Cannons and Marker
The cannon are 3-inch Ordnance Rifles. One is stamped with the registry number 127 and the other is illegible.
Union County Grand Army of the Republic Photo on Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., May 3, 2009
4. Union County Grand Army of the Republic Photo on Marker
Union County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., May 3, 2009
5. Union County Courthouse
From Court and Sixth Streets. Cannons and marker at bottom left of photo.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 10, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,380 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 10, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=20688

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 29, 2024