Ringgold in Catoosa County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Stone Church And Catoosa Station
Chickamauga Campaign Heritage Trail
The coming of the Western and Atlantic Railroad and the construction of an impressive stone depot in 1849 had a great influence on the growing economy of Ringgold and the surrounding area. A second station or platform was constructed just south of the gap named "Catoosa Station," to serve the nearby summer resorts of Catoosa Springs and Cherokee Springs.
In September, 1863, elements of General Nathan Bedford Forrest's cavalry patrolled Ringgold. On September 11, 1863 Federal forces from Van Cleve's Division of the 21st Army Corps of the Army of the Cumberland invaded Ringgold from the west. At the same time, Colonel John T. Wilders mounted Infantry Brigade invaded from the north. They were pushed back by Forrest, who also had the railroad bridge over the creek at Ringgold Gap destroyed. Because the railroad bridge was burned, the trains coming to Ringgold could get no further than Catoosa Station, south of the gap.
On September 17th, the Federals again came to
Steedman, as Van Cleve had earlier, met pickets from Forrests cavalry who were still guarding the road at Ringgold. After a brief exchange of fire, the Confederates withdrew to Ringgold. Steedmans troops followed, and as soon as they got over the creek they placed their artillery on the same hill that Van Cleves gunners had used earlier. They fired a number of shells into Ringgold, causing a lengthy Confederate Army wagon train to retire in confusion through the gap.
The cannon fire alerted Confederate infantry regiments that were in camp in the southeastern end of the gap. Unknown to the Federals, massive reinforcements for Bragg's army had been coming by train from Virginia and Mississippi. The cannon fire brought an instant Confederate attack through the gap against the invaders. This movement, Lieutenant Colonel R. B. Snowden, commanding the 27th Tennessee
During the next two days there were thousands of Confederate soldiers passing through Ringgold coming from Catoosa Station, they passed through the gap, through Ringgold and continued on the fight in the greaat Battle of Chickamauga.
Erected by Chickamauga Campaign Heritage Trail.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Railroads & Streetcars • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Chickamauga Campaign Heritage Trail series list. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1863.
Location. 34° 54.377′ N, 85° 4.636′ W. Marker is in Ringgold, Georgia, in Catoosa County. Marker is at the intersection of Chattanooga Road (Route 41) and Catoosa Parkway, on the right when traveling north on Chattanooga Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ringgold GA 30736, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Stone Church (a few steps from this marker); Trail of Tears Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Old Stone Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Federal Road (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cherokee Springs Confederate Hospital (approx. 0.9 miles away); Catoosa Springs Confederate Hospitals (approx. 1.4 miles away); Confederate General Patrick Cleburne's Emancipation Proposal (approx. 1½ miles away); General Patrick R. Cleburne Memorial (approx. 1½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ringgold.
More about this marker. Chickamauga Campaign Heritage Trail, Army of Tennessee site #16
Also see . . . The official Chickamauga Campaign Trail Website. (Submitted on October 1, 2008, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 5, 2022. It was originally submitted on October 1, 2008, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,705 times since then and 97 times this year. Last updated on October 4, 2022, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on October 1, 2008, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.