Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Piney Point in St. Mary's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Military Influence

 
 
Military Influence Updated Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Sean C Bath, November 28, 2021
1. Military Influence Updated Marker
Inscription.  
Torpedoes arrive at Piney Point. In 1921, the United States Navy sent the first torpedo testing barges from Alexandria, Virginia, to Piney Point. By the onset of World War II, torpedo testing became a regular operation. The Navy purchased property, now the Piney Point Lighthouse Museum property, to moor their torpedo retrieval boats.

After fighting northwest winds and dredging the mouth of the creek three times, the Navy moved its operations one mile to the present-day site of the Paul Hall Center. In 1960, the Steuart Petroleum Company used this site for its tugboats and barges transporting petroleum to its facility in Washington, D.C. St. Mary's County Government purchased the property in 2002 to expand the Piney Point Lighthouse Museum and Historic Park.

"We were never allowed inside the workshop. Men with white coats came and went every day. They would just say hello and go inside. We heard rumors they were working on anti-submarine warfare."
--Warren Wince, "Plank Owner" aboard torpedo barge

 
Erected by Commissioners
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of St. Mary's County; St. Mary's County Museum Division; Friends of the St. Clement's Island and Piney Point Museums; Destination Southern Maryland; Southern Maryland Heritage Area, Maryland Heritage Area Authority.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: War, World IIWaterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1921.
 
Location. 38° 8.23′ N, 76° 31.722′ W. Marker is in Piney Point, Maryland, in St. Mary's County. Marker is on Lighthouse Road (Maryland Route 498) south of Hotel Cove Lane, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 44700 Lighthouse Rd, Piney Point MD 20674, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Dory Boat (within shouting distance of this marker); Fueling Progress (within shouting distance of this marker); Piney Point Lighthouse (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Piney Point Lighthouse (about 500 feet away); Potomac River Military Testing (about 500 feet away); Bay Lights (about 500 feet away); Osprey (about 500 feet away); Map of Lower Potomac River and Chesapeake Bay (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Piney Point.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. This marker has replaced the linked marker.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 5, 2022. It was originally submitted on October 5, 2022, by Sean C Bath of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 78 times since then and 8 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on October 4, 2022, by Sean C Bath of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker in context. • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=207239

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 18, 2024