Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Prescott in Yavapai County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

The Fire of 1900

 
 
The Fire of 1900 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joseph Cavinato, July 13, 2009
1. The Fire of 1900 Marker
Inscription.  A disastrous fire on the night of July 14, 1900 changed the face of downtown Prescott. Starting in a room in the Scopel Hotel on the southwest corner of Goodwin and Montezuma Streets, the fire quickly hopped across Goodwin Street and proceeded to consume all of the buildings on "Whiskey Row," leveling the entire block. Though some of the Plaza buildings were built of brick, many were wood, and the destruction was nearly complete. The fire burned almost everything in its path to Granite Creek and Willis Street, a total of over 80 businesses. Prescott had suffered fires before, but this was by far the worst. The pluck and courage of its merchants and residents was evident, however, as they pitched in to rebuild, this time of more substantial means: brisk, concrete, and stone. Within three days construction was underway. Undaunted merchants were open and doing a brisk business in tents, corrugated metal buildings, and hastily constructed sheds on the courthouse lawn. Of the buildings standing at the time of the fire, only a few remain: The Prescott National Bank and the Bank of Prescott (both under construction in 1900), the Knights of Pythias
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Building on South Cortez Street, and the City Jail and Fire Station on West Goodwin Street.
 
Erected by The Historic Preservation Fund and the City of Prescott.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable BuildingsNotable Events. A significant historical date for this entry is July 14, 1873.
 
Location. 34° 32.385′ N, 112° 28.221′ W. Marker is in Prescott, Arizona, in Yavapai County. Marker is at the intersection of South Montezuma Street (Arizona Route 89) and West Goodwin Street, on the right when traveling south on South Montezuma Street. Marker is located on the southwest corner. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Prescott AZ 86301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ruffner Plaza Stables (within shouting distance of this marker); City Jail and Firehouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Prescott (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Prescott's Beginnings: The First Mining District in Yavapai County (about 400 feet away); Montezuma Street (about 400 feet away); Our Creeks are Alive! (about 400 feet away); Hotel Vendome (about 500 feet away); Bicentennial Tree (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Prescott.
 
Additional keywords. Man
The Fire of 1900 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joseph Cavinato, July 13, 2009
2. The Fire of 1900 Marker
Caused Disasters
 
Close-Up of Photo on Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Sharlot Hall Museum Photo, circa 1897
3. Close-Up of Photo on Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 6, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 13, 2009, by Joseph Cavinato of Fountain Hills, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,575 times since then and 74 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 13, 2009, by Joseph Cavinato of Fountain Hills, Arizona.   3. submitted on July 13, 2009. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=20811

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 23, 2024