Near Dallas in Paulding County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Battle of New Hope Church
Checked by Hood’s outposts near the mill, the Federals advanced & struck Stewart’s div. [CS] astride the road at this point -- the left brigade (Stovall’s) in the cemetery, with no intrenchments.
Followed then several hours of bitter conflict -- late afternoon & night -- in rain & thunderstorm. Battle renewed next day.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 110-28.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is May 25, 1864.
Location. 33° 57.394′ N, 84° 47.421′ W. Marker is near Dallas, Georgia, in Paulding County. Marker is at the intersection of Dallas-Acworth Highway (Georgia Route 381) and Bobo Road, on the left when traveling westTouch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dallas GA 30132, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Battle of New Hope Church (here, next to this marker); Atlanta Campaign (here, next to this marker); New Hope Church Phase of Atlanta Campaign (here, next to this marker); The March of Hardee’s Corps, May 23-25, 1864 (a few steps from this marker); Polk’s March to Lost Mountain (a few steps from this marker); Dedicated to the Confederate Soldiers (a few steps from this marker); Battle of New Hope Church Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); New Hope Battlefield (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
Also see . . . Battle of New Hope Church. A brief description of the battle, with a variety of references and other information. (Submitted on July 15, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 15, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 3,889 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 15, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.