Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Forks of Cacapon in Hampshire County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
 

“Caudy’s Castle”

 
 
“Caudy’s Castle” Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, July 14, 2009
1. “Caudy’s Castle” Marker
Inscription.  Named for James Caudy, pioneer and Indian fighter, who took refuge from the Indians on a mass of rocks overlooking Cacapon River during the French and Indian War (1754–1763). From his position on the Castle of Rocks, he defended himself by pushing the Indians, one by one with the butt of his rifle, over the precipice as they came single file along the narrow crevice of rocks. They fell 450–500 ft. to the base along the edge of the Cacapon.
 
Erected 1974 by West Virginia Department of Archives and History.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, French and Indian. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia Archives and History series list.
 
Location. 39° 24.201′ N, 78° 24.948′ W. Marker is near Forks of Cacapon, West Virginia, in Hampshire County. Marker is on Bloomery Pike (West Virginia Route 127) east of Owl Hollow, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bloomery WV 26817, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
the crow flies. Bloomery Iron Furnace / Bloomery Gap Skirmish (approx. 0.8 miles away); Fight at Bloomery Gap (approx. 2˝ miles away); Pinoak Fountain (approx. 3.1 miles away); Hampshire County / Virginia (approx. 4.2 miles away); Overlook at Cacapon State Park (approx. 6 miles away); Cacapon Mountain Overlook (approx. 6.1 miles away); Hampshire County / Morgan County (approx. 6.3 miles away); West Virginia (Morgan County) / Virginia (approx. 6˝ miles away).
 
More about this marker. Caudy’s Castle Rock is southwest of this marker on the west bank of the Cacapon River just south of where the North River joins the Cacapon.
 
Also see . . .  Caudy’s Castle Rock. “"About two miles above the forks of this river is situated "Caudy's Castle," a most stupendous work of nature. It is said by tradition that in the time of the wars between the white and red people, a man by the name of James Caudy more than once took shelter on the rock from the pursuit of the Indians, from whence its name. It consists of a fragment of the mountains, separated from and independent of the neighboring mountains, forming, as it were, a half cone, and surrounded with a yawning chasm. Its eastern base, washed by the Capon River, rises to the majestic height of four
“Caudy’s Castle” Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, July 14, 2009
2. “Caudy’s Castle” Marker
hundred and fifty to five hundred feet, while its eastern side is a solid mass of granite, directly perpendicular. A line drawn 'round its base probably would not exceed one thousand or twelve hundred yards.” (Submitted on July 15, 2009.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 6, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 15, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,826 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 15, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=20850

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 28, 2024