Hagerstown in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Retreat from Gettysburg
Confederate troops occupied the town until July 12, when driven out by Union forces including General George Armstrong Custer's Michigan cavalry brigade, which forced the Confederates out to the western edge of town. Federal General Oliver O. Howard (later a founder and early president of Howard University) observed Confederate positions south of town from the St. John's church bell tower.
Erected by Maryland Heritage Area.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Historically Black Colleges and Universities series list. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1941.
Location. 39° 38.414′ N, 77° 43.31′ W. Marker is in Hagerstown, Maryland, in Washington County Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 141 South Potomac Street, Hagerstown MD 21740, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Our Journey Transports Us Through Time (within shouting distance of this marker); Hagerstonians in the Civil War (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Hose Company (about 400 feet away); 200 Years of the Arts and Humanities (about 500 feet away); Elliott-Bester House (about 500 feet away); The Last Confederate Incursion North of the Potomac River (about 600 feet away); Thomas Kennedy (about 700 feet away); West Baltimore Street (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hagerstown.
More about this marker. In the lower left is a drawing of St. John's Church as it appeared in the years before the Civil War. In the center is a portrait of Major General Howard. To the right is a View of Hagerstown, circa 1870, looking north up Potomac Street taken from the St. John's bell tower.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 25, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 15, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,042 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 15, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.