Bordeaux in McCormick County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
John De La Howe School Enterprise Market Program at "The Barn"
Established in 1987 through the cooperative efforts of John de la Howe School and Clemson University with support from Governor Carroll A. Campbell, Jr., and the South Carolina General Assembly to provide free enterprise experiences in a therapeutic setting to the young people of South Carolina.
Building Erected 1931, Work Projects Administration
Renovated, 1992. Architect - Drakeford Architects
General Contractor - Summerfield Associates
Board of Trustees
Mr. F.E. Grier, Chair
Mrs. Irby Schultz, Vice Chair
Mrs. Louise H. Mitchum Fickling, Secretary
Mrs. Hessie Morrah Graham, Mr. Thomas M. Stokes
Mrs. Elizabeth Davis, Mr. Sylvester Williams III
Ms. Elizabeth M. Dillbeck, Mr. Westley D. McAllister
Mr. John C. Shifelt, Jr., Superintendent
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Education • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1987.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 192 Gettys Road, Mc Cormick SC 29835, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John De La Howe School (within shouting distance of this marker); John De La Howe / John De La Howe School (approx. ¼ mile away); De La Howe Hall (approx. 0.3 miles away); Guillebeau Home and Family Cemetery (approx. one mile away); Andre Guillebeau (approx. 1.2 miles away); John De La Howe School Lethe Farm Trail (approx. 2.1 miles away); John De La Howe Forest (approx. 2.1 miles away); New Bordeaux (1764) (approx. 2.4 miles away); New Bordeaux Worship Site (approx. 2.7 miles away); Cherry Hill / Noble Cemetery (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bordeaux.
Also see . . .
1. John De La Howe School. Originally founded in 1797 as a farm school for local poor and orphaned children, John de la Howe School has evolved into a first-rate, child caring agency committed to meeting the behavioral, educational, and social needs of the children in its care. (Submitted on July 17, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Works Progress Administration(Submitted on July 18, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. Carroll A. Campbell, Jr. Carroll Ashmore Campbell, Jr. (July 24, 1940 – December 7, 2005) was a U.S. Republican Party politician who served as Governor of South Carolina from 1987 to 1995. (Submitted on July 18, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. John de la Howe School Interpretive Trail
The John de la Howe School has been serving children for more than 200 years, but the school is also serving the larger community by inviting the public to visit an interpretive trail through some of its scenic forest.
What to Look for: The 1.5-mile trail crosses dry upland hardwood forest, mixed pine/hardwood forest, and some floodplain forest. It overlooks both a two-acre beaver pond and part of the headwaters of Lake Thurmond. Rock outcrops encrusted with lichens are common and add to the beauty of the walk. This is a great place to look for turtles, lizards,
When to Go: The trail is always open, but if you visit on Saturday, you can also visit "The Barn" where volunteers sell student-made crafts and community consignment items. Restrooms and drinking water are only available in The Barn.
How to Get There: From McCormick, go north on SC 28 and follow it for approximately 8 miles. Just after the road crosses the Long Cane Bridge, bear left on SC 81. Watch for the Barn about 3 miles father on the right, shortly after the main entrance (on the left) to the John de la Howe School. The train begins at the far side of the field, on the right as you face the Barn.
Extras: Call the school at (864) 391-2131 for more information. (Source: South Carolina Nature Viewing Guide: Distributed for the South Carolina Department of Natural Resource by Patricia L. Jerman (2000) pg 35.)
2. The De La Howe Gift
Dr. John De La Howe, of Abbeville District, on the 7th day of September, 1796, made his last will and testament and thereby gave all of his estate, consisting of both personal and real, to the Agricultural Society of South Carolina, in trust, for the purpose of establishing on the plantation where he resided an agricultural farm and school, out of the yearly income, to feed, clothe and educate twelve poor boys and twelve poor girls, giving orphan children the preference. The testator requested Peter Gibert. Esq., to act as executor of the will until the Agricultural Society should name some of its members to perform that duty. By a codicil, without date, he appointed William Hutton a joint executor with Mr. Gibert. Dr. De La Howe died on the 2d day of January, 1797, and his will was admitted to probate on the 27th of March, 1797, by the County Court of Abbeville. An appraisement was made on the 5th of April, 1797. The appraised value of the personal property at that time amounted to $5,438.68.
In 1805 the Agricultural Society surrendered their trust to the Legislature, who accepted it, and by Act passed on the I4th of December, same year, appointed Col. Joseph Calhoun, Peter Gibert, Andrew Norris, Rev. Moses
On the 30th of December, 1806, the trustees sold the residue of the personal property. This sale amounted to $6,556.14. On the 2?th of June they returned a statement of the personal estate, at that time amounting to $10,639.69.
The real estate consisted of quite a number of tracts of land situated in the Districts of Abbeville, Edgefield, and on the Edisto River. A certain part of the land was sold about this time, which produced a sum—added to the amount realized from sale of personal property—aggregating some $32,237.
The institution has had a changing experience since the above date. Today the institution is in possession of 2,700 acres of land, valued at $54,000, besides having $14,000 invested in good bonds. There is erected on the premises one brick building containing twelve rooms for the use of Superintendent and girls, and one four-room brick building for the boys, a commodious chapel in which preaching is held regularly—preacher paid by the trustees. The annual income of the farm is $3.500; expenses for maintaining school, Superintendent, etc., are $2,000.
In view of the above facts, it is strange to state
Dr. De La Howe was buried on the hill opposite to the dwelling on the plantation named by him "Lethe Farm." He requested a substantial brick wall should be built around his grave—not less than ten feet square, eight feet above the ground, with an iron door and lock, and that the following inscription, in large iron capitals, shall ever be kept encased: "Joes De La Howe, fundator, hipes Seminarie Agriculturalis," with date of his decease. (Source: Handbook of South Carolina by the South Carolina Dept. of Agriculture, pg 215.)
— Submitted July 18, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
3. Description of the De La Howe School
The American Farmer
We have no information of the character of the deceased, nor of his wealth or will, but what is contained in an advertisement which we find in a South Carolina paper. By this advertisement it appears that provision
— Submitted December 18, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 17, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,715 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on July 18, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.