Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Dallas in Paulding County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Polk’s Corps at Dallas and New Hope Church

 
 
Polk’s Corps at Dallas and New Hope Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, July 18, 2009
1. Polk’s Corps at Dallas and New Hope Church Marker
Inscription.  Lt. Gen. Leonidas Polk’s corps which had moved from Allatoona as left flank of Johnston’s army [CS] -- via Lost Mtn. & Mt. Tabor Ch. -- reached this vicinity May 24, 1864.

After return of Hardee’s A.C. [CS] from Powder Springs (May 25), Polk’s troops formed the center of Johnston’s line facing the Federal lines to the West.

When deployed, Polk’s left was at Wigley’s Mill in gap of Ellsberry Mtn.; his center & rt. at & above New Hope Ch. -- a position he held in the 10 days of conflict mostly fought on the left & right of the army.
 
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 110-20.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is May 24, 1898.
 
Location. 33° 54.551′ N, 84° 46.755′ W. Marker is near Dallas, Georgia, in Paulding County. Marker is on Merchants Highway (Georgia Route 6) near Marietta Highway (Georgia Route 120), on the right when traveling east. Georgia Highway
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
6 is old US Highway 278, through the center of Dallas. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dallas GA 30132, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site: Robertson House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); George Darby House Cleburne’s H’dq’rs. (approx. 1.7 miles away); Henry Lester House (approx. 1.8 miles away); Site: Colley House Hood’s H’dq’rs (approx. 1.9 miles away); The Hiram Rosenwald School (approx. 2.3 miles away); Confederate Line (approx. 2.4 miles away); Eight Point Star (approx. 2.6 miles away); Johnston's Headquarters (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
 
Polk’s Corps at Dallas and New Hope Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, July 18, 2009
2. Polk’s Corps at Dallas and New Hope Church Marker
Looking eastward at the intersection of Georgia Highways 6 and 120.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 19, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,188 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 19, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=20943

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 22, 2024