Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Leesburg in Loudoun County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Leesburg Passenger Station

 
 
Leesburg Passenger Station Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, July 4, 2007
1. Leesburg Passenger Station Marker
Inscription.  When the Alexandria, Loudoun, & Hampshire Railroad (later W&OD) arrived on May 17, 1860, Leesburg realized a dream. A local newspaper praised the railroad, which “throws us within an hour or two’s ride of the cities of the seaboard, and opens up a new avenue of commerce and trade.”

At first a single depot, located 0.2 mile east of here, served passengers and freight. In 1887 the railroad opened a separate passenger station here at King Street. It remained in use until passenger service ended in 1951.

As at other towns along the line, Leesburg stationmasters played a crucial role in the smooth operation of the line. They sold tickets, operated the telegraph, and filled engines’ water tanks. Local resident Frank Raflo recalled that when a train came the stationmaster blocked street traffic “with a not-too-large signal which read simply ‘STOP.’ ”
 
Erected by The Washington & Old Dominion Railroad Regional Park, Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
. In addition, it is included in the NOVA Parks, and the Washington and Old Dominion (W&OD) Railroad series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1860.
 
Location. 39° 6.721′ N, 77° 33.974′ W. Marker is in Leesburg, Virginia, in Loudoun County. Marker is on King Street (Business U.S. 15), on the left when traveling north. Located about 25 feet west of King Street along the Washington & Old Dominion Railroad Trail. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Leesburg VA 20175, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The W&OD Railway and Jim Crow Laws (within shouting distance of this marker); The Tolbert Building (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Norman-Harding Barn (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Orion Anderson Story (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dairy Barn (approx. 0.2 miles away); Log House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Leesburg Freight Station (approx. 0.2 miles away); 7 Loudoun Street Southeast (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Leesburg.
 
More about this marker. The background of the marker is a photograph of the station from around 1906. An inset picture shows “A gas-electric train heads east, 1943. Cars are parked just off King Street.”
Leesburg Passenger Station Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones (CC0), January 21, 2023
2. Leesburg Passenger Station Marker
Unfortunately, the marker has weathered significantly.
The marker includes a portrait of Charles A. English, stationmaster 1866–1917.
 
Also see . . .
1. Leesburg Passenger Station. (Submitted on August 17, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. The Washington and Old Dominion Railroad. Book by Ames Williams available on Amazon.com (Submitted on May 7, 2008, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland.) This website may earn income if you use this link to make a purchase on Amazon.com. 

3. Rails to the Blue Ridge: The Washington and Old Dominion Railroad, 1847 - 1968. Book by Herbert Harwood available on Amazon.com (Submitted on May 7, 2008, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland.) This website may earn income if you use this link to make a purchase on Amazon.com. 
 
Marker Seen from King Street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, July 4, 2007
3. Marker Seen from King Street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 21, 2023. It was originally submitted on August 17, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,991 times since then and 196 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on August 17, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   2. submitted on January 21, 2023, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.   3. submitted on August 17, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=2110

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 13, 2024