Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Nacogdoches in Nacogdoches County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Plaza Place

 
 
Plaza Place Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, November 20, 2022
1. Plaza Place Marker
Inscription.  The property in this block on the west side of the Public Square was owned by a distinguished list of families. The names, Who's Who in the early history of the town, include Piedras, Sterne, Rusk, Roberts, Taylor, Blake, Hayter, Hoya, Orton, Mast, Haltom, Voight, Wettermark, Mayer, Schmidt, Summers, and Davidsons.

While this building has seen many changes over the years, the one and a half story commercial structure is one of the oldest still standing on Plaza Principal. Abe Mayer and John Schmidt, who purchased the lot in 1879, erected a brick building sometime shortly thereafter. It appears in pictures from the early 1880s. The first facade of the building had three porthole-like windows across the front and accentuated brick pilasters on the corners; the interior had a tall ceiling and a gallery supported by wooden posts. The structure housed the first home of the mercantile firm Mayer & Schmidt before the firm moved to the northeast corner of the Square in 1888. This building was one of the first commercial structures designed by German-born architect D. Rulfs after he immigrated to Texas at the invitation of John Schmidt. Schmidt
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
also commissioned Rulfs to design other buildings in the downtown and his homestead on North Street.

In the 1890s this building housed the mercantile firm of Joseph Zeve; it remained in general mercantile use until the 1920s when it housed a bottling operation. Frank Summers, who owned the building, operated a furniture store in the structure. The present brick facade dates from 1934. To meet the needs of the J.C. Penney Company, the owners strengthened the side walls, added a second story to the rear of the building, and placed a stepped parapet and plate glass windows on the front. Following Penney's long-term lease, the building has housed various businesses, including furniture, clothing, and antiques. Dr. Morris Jackson purchased the building 1996 and gave it the name Plaza Place.
 
Erected by The Heritage Club of Nacogdoches and the City of Nacogdoches Main Street Advisory Board.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureIndustry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1879.
 
Location. 31° 36.193′ N, 94° 39.324′ W. Marker is in Nacogdoches, Texas, in Nacogdoches County. Marker is on South Pecan Street, 0.1 miles south of East Main Street, on the right when traveling south. The marker is located on the right corner of the building.
The Plaza Place Marker on the right side of the building image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, November 20, 2022
2. The Plaza Place Marker on the right side of the building
Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 106 South Pecan Street, Nacogdoches TX 75961, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Colonel and Mrs. Robert Parker Andrews Memorial Park and Archeological Landmark (here, next to this marker); Old Wettermark Bank Building (a few steps from this marker); The West Side of the Square (a few steps from this marker); First National Bank - 1890 (within shouting distance of this marker); Weeks Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Diedrich Anton Wilhelm Rulfs (within shouting distance of this marker); The Nine Flags of Nacogdoches (within shouting distance of this marker); The Hoya Buildings (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nacogdoches.
 
The Plaza Place building and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse
3. The Plaza Place building and Marker
The marker is located above the drivers door of the white pickup truck.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 22, 2022. It was originally submitted on November 22, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 205 times since then and 125 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 22, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=211026

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 23, 2024