Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cumberland in Cumberland County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Cumberland County Court House

 
 
Cumberland County Court House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, July 25, 2009
1. Cumberland County Court House Marker
Inscription.  In 1749 the Virginia House of Burgesses divided Goochland County to establish Cumberland County. William A. Howard, an associate of Thomas Jefferson's master builder, Dabney Cosby, built the present Cumberland County courthouse (1818-1821). The unusual temple-form, Jeffersonian-Classical building has a finely executed Tuscan portico on the long side instead of the end and stands only one story high. Howard also designed the diminutive brick clerk's office to the east that was completed in 1821. Today, the two buildings stand near the center of the village with a jail (ca. 1823), a 19th-century well, and a 1901 Civil War monument.
 
Erected 1998 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number O-49.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureGovernment & PoliticsWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #03 Thomas Jefferson, and the Virginia Department of Historic Resources (DHR) series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1749.
 
Location. 37° 29.809′ 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
N, 78° 14.665′ W. Marker is in Cumberland, Virginia, in Cumberland County. Marker is at the intersection of Anderson Highway (U.S. 60) and Foster Road, on the right when traveling west on Anderson Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cumberland VA 23040, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Confederate Memorial (a few steps from this marker); First Call For Independence (a few steps from this marker); Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Jackson Davis (within shouting distance of this marker); Campaign of 1781 (approx. 2˝ miles away); Buckingham County / Cumberland County (approx. 5.9 miles away); Cumberland County / Powhatan County (approx. 6.6 miles away); a different marker also named Cumberland County / Powhatan County (approx. 8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cumberland.
 
Cumberland County Court House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, July 25, 2009
2. Cumberland County Court House Marker
Cumberland County Court House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, July 25, 2009
3. Cumberland County Court House
Exterior of courthouse, Cumberland, Virginia image. Click for full size.
circa 1915
4. Exterior of courthouse, Cumberland, Virginia
Library of Congress [LC-USZ62-97882 ]
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 26, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,024 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 26, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.   4. submitted on August 10, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=21121

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 17, 2024