Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Battleford in Battle River No. 438, Saskatchewan — The Prairie Region (North America)
 

Government House

Power and Promise

 
 
Government House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, July 14, 2022
1. Government House Marker
Inscription.  
"It must be the largest and finest house in all the land."
Lt.-Gov. David Laird


Battleford was the capital of the Northwest Territories from 1876 to 1883. From here at Government House, the territorial government managed a vast expanse of land covering two-thirds of the area of Canada.

Government House was constructed of logs floated down the North Saskatchewan River from Edmonton. It was a fine and sturdy building with an elegant interior trimmed in oak, bird's-eye maple and butternut. It also served as the eight-bedroom residence of Lt.-Gov. David Laird and his family.

Many buildings sprang up on both sides of the Battle River after the federal government named Battleford the territorial capital.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureGovernment & PoliticsSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1876.
 
Location. 52° 42.704′ N, 108° 18.51′ W. Marker is in Battleford, Saskatchewan, in Battle River No. 438. Marker can be reached from 3 Avenue
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
West, half a kilometer south of Old Saskatchewan Highway 4 (Provincial Highway 658), on the left when traveling south. Marker is located beside the chimney at the Old Government House Site. It is leftmost of 5 related markers at this location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Battleford SK S0M 0E0, Canada. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Indian Industrial School (here, next to this marker); Seventh Day Adventists Academy (here, next to this marker); Oblate Seminary (here, next to this marker); The End of an Era (here, next to this marker); Government House Battleford (within shouting distance of this marker); Government House, Battleford (within shouting distance of this marker); Seat of the Territorial Government 1878-1883 (within shouting distance of this marker); Battleford Land Registry Building (approx. 0.6 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Battleford.
 
Regarding Government House. Canadian Register of Historic Places, (1984/03/27).
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Old Government House, Battleford, Saskatchewan
 
Also see . . .  Old Government House / Saint-Charles Scholasticate National Historic Site of Canada.
Old Government House is the site of the first Territorial Government House in what is now the Province
Marker detail: Government House, circa 1876-77 image. Click for full size.
Courtesy Parks Canada
2. Marker detail: Government House, circa 1876-77
of Saskatchewan. The building was destroyed by fire in 2003 and the site now consists of a grassy plateau with archaeological remains of the former structure. It overlooks the vast valley of the Saskatchewan and Battle rivers.
(Submitted on December 4, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
Government House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, July 14, 2022
3. Government House Marker
(looking east • related marker on right side • foundation ruins in background)
Old Government House Chimney image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, July 14, 2022
4. Old Government House Chimney
(looking east • leftmost of 5 related markers in front of the old Government House chimney)
Government House Ruins image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, July 14, 2022
5. Government House Ruins
(looking north through foundation ruins)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 5, 2022. It was originally submitted on December 4, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 76 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 4, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=211931

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 23, 2024