Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Druid Hill Park in Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Elephant House

Our First Elephant's House

— Historic Maryland Zoo —

 
 
The Elephant House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones (CC0), December 10, 2022
1. The Elephant House Marker
Inscription.  
When Mary Ann, our first elephant, arrived in 1925 she needed a place to live so this building was created for her.

Beginning in 1920, a group of Baltimore schoolchildren helped collect the funds to buy MaryAnn. This building, completed in 1926, after her her arrival, was designed to house an elephant on one end and a hippopotamus on the other. The building has a small, enclosed yard and indoor space for each animal. Besides providing homes for hippos and elephants, the building helped keep zoo animals fed. The basement featured a bakery used to prepare foods for animals across the zoo.

Image right:
Restoration efforts on the building finished in 2021 by Azola Building Rehab, Inc. Work included restoring the Spanish Tile roof, stabilizing wood cornice, repairing the masonry, and adding gutters and downspouts. the cornice, windows and doors were restored to their original color as determined by a paint analysis.

Image below:
Original plans of the elephant and hippopotamus house.

 
Erected by The Maryland
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Zoo.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AnimalsNotable BuildingsParks & Recreational Areas. A significant historical year for this entry is 1925.
 
Location. 39° 19.451′ N, 76° 38.808′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. It is in Druid Hill Park. Marker is on Historic Main Valley, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1876 Mansion House Dr, Baltimore MD 21217, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sea Lions Came First (a few steps from this marker); Polar Bear Zoo (a few steps from this marker); Mary Ann and George (within shouting distance of this marker); Maryland Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Advancing Education and Animal Welfare (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Prioritizing Conservation (about 300 feet away); State-of-the-Art in 1876 (about 300 feet away); Elephant Walk (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baltimore.
 
The Elephant House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones (CC0), December 10, 2022
2. The Elephant House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 11, 2022. It was originally submitted on December 11, 2022, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 128 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 11, 2022, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A better photo of the Elephant House • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=212301

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 13, 2024