Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Plano in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Rowlett Creek Cemetery

 
 
Rowlett Creek Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, December 8, 2022
1. Rowlett Creek Cemetery Marker
Inscription.  In 1836 Dr. Daniel Rowlett (1786-1848), a Kentuckian, came to Texas with his wife and six other families. Rowlett, a physician, lawyer, surveyor, and politician, settled near present Bonham. He located much of his large 1838 land grant in the fertile area along present Rowlett Creek.

After meeting in homes and outdoors, seven charter members organized the Wilson Creek Church of United Baptists in 1848, under leadership of the Rev. David Myers. In 1852 the name became "Rowlett Creek Baptist Church". George White (1820-1886) deeded six acres at this site in 1861 for a meetinghouse. The following year Shadrick J. Jackson (1830-1863) and his wife Sophronia deeded an adjacent four acres. Soon lots were set aside for this cemetery. The earliest marked grave is that of pioneer Alfred Harrington in 1862. The second interment in 1862 was that of Charles Gough, who was on furlough from the Confederate Army. In 1895, the Rowlett Creek Cemetery Association was formed.

Rowlett is believed to be the earliest Baptist church in Collin County. It became inactive in 1935 but had been influential in establishing many early churches, a number
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of which are still prominent in the north Texas area.
 
Erected 1979 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6196.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1836.
 
Location. 33° 7.303′ N, 96° 44.081′ W. Marker is in Plano, Texas, in Collin County. Marker is on Rowlett Cemetery Road, 0.2 miles north of Kathryn Lane, on the right when traveling north. The marker is located in the northwest section of the cemetery in front of the church. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Plano TX 75025, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Rowlett Creek Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); The Shawnee Trail (approx. 3˝ miles away); Allen Station of the Texas Electric Railway (approx. 3.9 miles away); Allen Water Station (approx. 4.1 miles away); Stone Dam at Allen Station (approx. 4.1 miles away); Allen (approx. 4.1 miles away); Military Survey of Preston Road (approx. 4.2 miles away); American Bison (approx. 4.3 miles away).
 
The Rowlett Creek Church and Marker in the cemetery image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, December 8, 2022
2. The Rowlett Creek Church and Marker in the cemetery
George White Gravestone image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, December 8, 2022
3. George White Gravestone
The view of the Rowlett Creek Church, Cemetery and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, December 8, 2022
4. The view of the Rowlett Creek Church, Cemetery and Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 11, 2022. It was originally submitted on December 11, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 86 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 11, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=212321

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 21, 2024