Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cleveland in White County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

White County

 
 
White County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, July 4, 2008
1. White County Marker
Inscription.  White County, created by Act of Dec. 22, 1857, was cut off from Habersham and Lumpkin Counties. Wm. H. Shelton, Repr. from Habersham at the session tried twice to have the county formed but failed. Repr. David T. White of Newton Co. backed the bill and it passed. In gratitude, Repr. Shelton had the county named for Repr. White. First county officers were: Isaac Bowen, Sheriff; Wm. L. Sumpter, Clk. Sup. Ct.; Wm. R. Kimsey, Clk. Inf. Ct.; Willis A. England, Cor.; Wm. Burke, Tax Rec.; Champion Ferguson, Tax Col.; Vincent F. Sears, Surveyor; Wilkes T. Leonard, Ord.; J. Cicero Bell, Treasurer.
 
Erected 1955 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 154-3.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Law EnforcementSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is December 1941.
 
Location. 34° 35.814′ N, 83° 45.8′ W. Marker is in Cleveland, Georgia, in White County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (U.S. 129) and
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
West Kytle Street (Georgia Route 115), on the left when traveling north on Main Street. The marker is at the old White County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cleveland GA 30528, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cleveland (a few steps from this marker); Old White County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Mustering Grounds (within shouting distance of this marker); White County's Gold (within shouting distance of this marker); Mossy Creek and Rock Springs Campgrounds (approx. 5.6 miles away); Discovery of Gold (approx. 5.8 miles away); Nacoochee Indian Mound (approx. 6.8 miles away); Nacoochee Mound (approx. 6.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cleveland.
 
Old White County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, June 18, 2011
2. Old White County Courthouse
The Old White County Courthouse, built in 1860 and modeled after Independence Hall in Philadelphia, is now a museum. The marker stands on the grounds of the Old Courthouse.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 31, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,030 times since then and 73 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on July 31, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2. submitted on June 23, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=21294

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 21, 2024