Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Norcross in Gwinnett County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Historic Norcross City Cemetery

Circa 1870

 
 
Historic Norcross City Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Darren Jefferson Clay, December 18, 2022
1. Historic Norcross City Cemetery Marker
Inscription.  Local landowner Milton C. Lively donated the land in the central part of today's cemetery for a burial ground around the time the city was established in 1870 and the road connecting it to the town became known as Cemetery Street.

At one time, there were two streets leading from town to the cemetery, which were known as North Cemetery Street and South Cemetery Street; however, this changed over time. When Buford Highway was built in the 1930s and expanded in the following years, the streets running to the cemetery were modified so that South Cemetery Street stopped at Buford Highway. It was renamed Carlyle Street, after the eponymous family, many of whom lived in the town and then later were buried here. The portion of North Cemetery Street west of Buford Highway was renamed Holcomb Bridge Road circa 2012.

In 1916, the city purchased an additional nine acres of the land surrounding the cemetery from M.C. Lively's descendants and used part of that land to expand the cemetery to its current size of 3.52 acres. The remaining 6 acres were converted into what is now called Cemetery Field for sporting events, early in the 1970s,
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
by local community leaders. In 1986, Gwinnett County did a major renovation to bring the field and stadium up to code.

The pavilion at the entrance to the cemetery was erected by the townspeople in 1922. The fence and gates were added in 2015 as part of a major renovation project, undertaken by the Norcross Public Works Department.
 
Erected by City of Norcross.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites.
 
Location. 33° 56.285′ N, 84° 12.585′ W. Marker is in Norcross, Georgia, in Gwinnett County. Marker is at the intersection of South Cemetery Street and Fairmont Street, on the left when traveling south on South Cemetery Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 211 S Cemetery St, Norcross GA 30071, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rememberance of Confederate, Spanish & World War Soldiers (here, next to this marker); Lillian Hicks Webb (approx. ¼ mile away); The Ball Ground (approx. ¼ mile away); 127 South Peachtree Street (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of Norcross Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); 113 South Peachtree Street (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also
Historic Norcross City Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Darren Jefferson Clay, December 18, 2022
2. Historic Norcross City Cemetery Marker
named 113 South Peachtree Street (approx. 0.3 miles away); 109 South Peachtree Street (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Norcross.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 28, 2022. It was originally submitted on December 26, 2022, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. This page has been viewed 193 times since then and 65 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on December 26, 2022, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia.   2. submitted on December 27, 2022, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=213024

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 12, 2024