Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
West Nyack in Rockland County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Clarksville

 
 
Clarksville Marker image. Click for full size.
Historical Society of Rockland County, August 4, 2009
1. Clarksville Marker
Inscription.  The Nyack Turnpike Toll Road c. 1825 crossed the Oblenis Farm here, creating a busy intersection knows as Oblenis Corners at Strawtown and Sickeltown roads. The first post office named Nyack Turnpike was established in the New Oblenis Store in 1834. In 1847 the hamlet was renamed Clarksville, then MontMoor and since 1891 has been known as West Nyack.
 
Erected 1982 by Historical Society of Rockland County. Sponsored by the West Nyack Rotary Club.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Roads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the New York, Historical Society of Rockland County, and the Rotary International series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1825.
 
Location. 41° 5.634′ N, 73° 58.326′ W. Marker is in West Nyack, New York, in Rockland County. Marker is at the intersection of West Nyack Road and Strawtown Road, on the left when traveling west on West Nyack Road. The Marker is located at the southwest corner where West Nyack, Strawtown and Sickeltown Roads meet. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: West Nyack NY 10994, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Clarksville Inn (within shouting distance of this marker); The Nyack Turnpike (approx. 0.2 miles away); West Nyack's Last Horse Trough (approx. 0.3 miles away); Van Houten Fields (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Old Parsonage (approx. half a mile away); West Nyack World War I Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Clarkstown Reformed Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Washington’s Encampment (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Nyack.
 
Clarksville Marker image. Click for full size.
Historical Society of Rockland County, August 4, 2009
2. Clarksville Marker
Photograph shows the intersection of Strawtown and Sickeltown road mentioned in the marker. Please notice the Clarkville Inn and Historic Marker in background of the photograph.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 4, 2009, by Historical Society of Rockland County of New City, New York. This page has been viewed 2,314 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 4, 2009, by Historical Society of Rockland County of New City, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=21381

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 26, 2024