Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Glen Arm in Baltimore County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
MISSING
SEE LOCATION SECTION
 

The Baltimore and Harford Turnpike Company

 
 
The Baltimore and Harford Turnpike Company Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, July 29, 2007
1. The Baltimore and Harford Turnpike Company Marker
Inscription.  Authorized by the Maryland Legislature in 1816 to open a road from Baltimore City with two branches, one through “Belle Air” to the Susquehanna at Rock Run, and the other to Susquehanna Bridge at McCall’s Ferry, Pennsylvania.
 
Erected 1937 by State Roads Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceRoads & VehiclesWaterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1816.
 
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 39° 26.091′ N, 76° 29.251′ W. Marker was in Glen Arm, Maryland, in Baltimore County. Marker was at the intersection of Harford Road (Maryland Route 147) and Long Green Pike, on the right when traveling north on Harford Road. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Kingsville MD 21087, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Gunpowder Copper Works (approx. 0.9 miles away); Germantown (approx. 2 miles away); The Baltimore Embroidery / The Tanner Homestead
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 2 miles away); Perry Hall (approx. 2 miles away); Gunpowder Falls State Park (approx. 2.4 miles away); Harry Dorsey Gough (approx. 2.4 miles away); Indian Rock (approx. 2.4 miles away); The Sweathouse Road (approx. 2.9 miles away).
 
Split in Road image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, July 29, 2007
2. Split in Road
Road on the right went to “Belle Air,” now Bel Air, and left to McCall’s Ferry, Pennsylvania
Remains of marker after being hit by a vehicle. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Pfingsten, December 22, 2007
3. Remains of marker after being hit by a vehicle.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 29, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,354 times since then and 96 times this year. Last updated on August 10, 2009, by John T. Marck of Glen Arm, Maryland. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 29, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.   3. submitted on December 22, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=21524

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 23, 2024