Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Virginia City in Storey County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Gould & Curry Offices

Also Known as Mackay Mansion – 129 So. D. St., Virginia City, Nv.

— Comstock Historical Marker No. 9 —

 
 
Gould & Curry Offices Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, August 9, 2009
1. Gould & Curry Offices Marker
Inscription.  The Gould and Curry Mining Company was founded in the Spring of 1859 by Alvah (Alva) Gould and Abraham Curry. The original claim was just over 900 feet of the Comstock Lode between the Best & Belcher and the Savage mines. Both men later sold their interest in the mine in the Fall of 1859. Curry relocated to Carson City where he became a major player in the town's growth and is considered the father of Carson City.

Built in 1860, the Gould and Curry mining office also provided housing for the mine superintendent. This three story brick building was equipped with a 500-gallon, gravity-flow water tank that was used for daily water consumption. The house was first occupied by mine superintendent George Hearst. Hearst's stay in Virginia City was of short duration as he pursued other mining interests out of state, but Hearst's fortune began in this building in 1860. Bonanza King John Mackay moved into the superintendents quarters after his home at the corner of Taylor and Howard was destroyed in the great fire of 1875. Although married, Mackay lived the life of a bachelor, as his wife Mary Louise resided in Paris and London for more than
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
two decades.

She was a very popular lady and did not feel her place was on the Comstock. She did not like living here and chose, instead, to live in Europe.

Mackay relocated to the International Hotel up on C Street at Union in 1877, when it reopened after the great fire. Total production from the Gould and Curry Mine from 1860 to 1881 was $15.6 million dollars, making it a major producer on the Comstock.

Now known as the Mackay Mansion it has served as a museum and tour of the offices for many years.
This marker sponsored by Marshall Earth Resources, Hugh Roy Marshall, Virginia City, Nevada 2009

 
Erected 2009 by Marshall Earth Resources, Hugh Roy Marshall. (Marker Number 9.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1859.
 
Location. 39° 18.18′ N, 119° 39.06′ W. Marker is in Virginia City, Nevada, in Storey County. Marker is on South D Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located in front the Mackay Mansion. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 129 South D Street, Virginia City NV 89440, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mackay Mansion (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Mackay Mansion
Gould & Curry Offices - Mackay Mansion image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, August 9, 2009
2. Gould & Curry Offices - Mackay Mansion
This marker is located on the far left.
(here, next to this marker); C. J. Prescott House (here, next to this marker); Chollar – Potosi Mining Co. (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Engineering Marvels on the Comstock (about 300 feet away); Fourth Ward School (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named The Fourth Ward School (about 400 feet away); Chollar Mine (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Virginia City.
 
More about this marker. There are two additional markers located at this site both titled "Mackay Mansion". See Nearby markers for additional information.
 
Also see . . .  University of California Photo of a Gould & Curry Mine Tunnel and Miners. This photo was published by Lawrence & Houseworth – 1860/1870. (Submitted on August 13, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.) 
 
John Mackay image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, August 9, 2009
3. John Mackay
Close-Up of Photo on Marker
The Gould and Curry Mine Office image. Click for full size.
Walt Mulcahy, Photographer, Published by The Old Lamp Post, Virginia City, circa 1961
4. The Gould and Curry Mine Office
Postcard Discription:
The Gould and Curry Mine Office
Virginia City, Nevada
Formerly the center of operations and activity for the famous mine of that name. One of the oldest and most charming buildings still standing in Virginia City, it also has the distinction of being the last residence of the "Bonanza King" John W. Mackay, who made this his headquarters after the fire of 1875, until 1888 when he left Virginia City for the final time.
Bonner Shaft Building - Gould & Curry Mine image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Wikipedia, circa 1874
5. Bonner Shaft Building - Gould & Curry Mine
Caption on image: 1874. Photograph of the Bonner Shaft of the Gould and Curry Mine, Virginia City; a group of boys stand near the building and part of Virginia City is visible in the background.
Miner at work, 350 ft. Underground, Gould & Curry Mine, Nev. image. Click for full size.
Robert N. Dennis Collection
6. Miner at work, 350 ft. Underground, Gould & Curry Mine, Nev.
Abraham Van Santvoord Curry Marker and Statue image. Click for more information.
Photographed By Syd Whittle
7. Abraham Van Santvoord Curry Marker and Statue
This statue, located on the grounds of the Nevada State Capital, commemorates Abraham Curry's importance to the development of Carson City.
Click for more information.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 4, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 13, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 2,286 times since then and 107 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 13, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.   4. submitted on May 9, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.   5, 6. submitted on August 13, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.   7. submitted on July 17, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=21597

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 20, 2024