Hancocks Bridge in Salem County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Hancock House Massacre
The colonists were determined to prevent the British from gaining access to their provisions, and moved their livestock below Alloways Creek. British Commander, Colonel Charles Mawhood was just as determined to not only obtain them, but to also “chastise the rebels.” His foraging parties, however, were turned back at all of the bridge crossings by the entrenched Cumberland and Salem militia.
After two days of skirmishing, Colonel Mawhood, more determined than ever to defeat the militia, chose the community around Hancock’s Bridge to concentrate his efforts. Major John G. Simcoe was dispatched with a force of 300 trained guerilla fighters and orders to spare no one.
In the darkness of the early morning hours of March 21, 1778, Simcoe’s troops quietly surrounded Judge William Hancock’s house where a small Quaker garrison of about
Erected by State of New Jersey Division of Parks & Forestry and National Park System.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Buildings • Notable Events • War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Quakerism series list. A significant historical date for this entry is March 21, 1677.
Location. 39° 30.46′ N, 75° 27.584′ W. Marker is in Hancocks Bridge, New Jersey, in Salem County. Marker is at the intersection of New Street and Locust Island Road, on the right when traveling south on New Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hancocks Bridge NJ 08038, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hancock House (within shouting distance of this marker); Patterned Brick Houses (within shouting distance of this marker); Swedish Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); Patriots Massacred in the Hancock House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Alloway Creek WatershedOld Bridges at this Location (about 500 feet away); Waving Acres of Grass (about 500 feet away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 3.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hancocks Bridge.
More about this marker. Two photographs, courtesy of the Salem County Historical Society, appear on the bottom of the marker. One is of a model of the Quinton bridge and has a caption of, “The Quinton drawbridge was one of several crossings the British attempted to use to gain access to provisions below Alloways Creek. The original was cut down by colonial militia to protect their supplies and provisions, while under British attack the morning of March 18, 1778.” The other is a photograph of the Hancock House showing the brickwork design. It has a caption of “The initials of William Hancock and his wife Sarah Thompson Hancock, along with the date 1734, appear in the patterned end brickwork on the west wall of the house. The decorative brick reflects the building traditions of the Quakers’ English homeland.”
Also see . . .
1. Hancock House. New Jersey Division (Submitted on August 13, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
2. New Jersey Coastal Heritage Trail Route. National Park Service website. (Submitted on August 13, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 13, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,734 times since then and 80 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 13, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.